How many FPS can the Human Eye Notice? - Page 4
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How many FPS can the Human Eye Notice?

FS: *Ding ding ding!* You win one chocolate chip cookie.

------------------
    BP6, C-366/550 (x2 some day), 320meg (again)
    CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

YEY!!! Can you pack it in an aroma bag and send it my way?
    "No doubt the truth, as usual, would be somewhere between the extremes" -Arthur C Clarke

I'm still perceiving an area of gross stupidity here, so let me lay out a scenario, and you can have at it.

Assume that you are a human.

You are sitting in a chair, looking at a 21" monitor running at 1280X1024 resolution, with a refresh rate of 72Hz.

The monitor is displaying a game being played by someone else, in another room.

If the game is producing 72 FPS what do you see?

If the game is producing 144 FPS does it look any different?
    Free advice, and worth every penny.

Freon, first of all I'll skip over the "captain ignorant" and "head up the ***" wise crack for now. Frankly, if THAT is your best technical argument... no comments. Here's a hint, though: actually knowing what you're talking about may help a helluva lot more than filling the space with cheap insults.

Second, the v-sync option can lower your frame rate to A LOT less than your monitor's frequency. As long as your video card can render ALL frames faster than 1/60 of a second (that's 16.66 ms), yes, you'll get 60 fps, too. Only then comes a frame which needs slightly longer... say, 1.7 ms. V-Sync will force it to wait an extra frame, bringing the total to 33.3 ms.

Second, at 60 Hz vertical refresh what you will notoce is flickering. Yes, it will be annoying to the eyes, but for reasons completely different than the frame rate.

As for the monitor's staying lit, have you actually seen a graph of how the light level decays for said phosphor? Yes, it won't decay to pure black in 1/60 of a second, but it will decay more than enough to be like a strobe light.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

I don't know, I can tell the difference between 40 fps and 70fps. It's all relative. Like the people playing Q3 on a P233 and a voodoo 1 4mb, they think their framerates are good (15-25 FPS) but God help them if they ever see the same game run on a P3 or Athlon and a Geforce... They will spend all the money in the world to get those extra FPS.
    You people who think you know everything really piss people like me off who really do know everything.
    http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/net/smileysex5.gif

ok ill try to explain it a little better (maybe)... the reason you can tell between 30 and 50 frames is because of the intervals your brain sees the images, and the intervals the computer displays the images. the human eye takes pictures at about 40-50 fps, then the brain puts them together, and you have video..... get it? ok, now lets say the computer is showing 30 fps... ok... the FIRST frame starts at one point of time. NOW your brain takes an snapshot of that image at a different time the fist frame started, so actually you see the second or third frame, OR maybe no frame at all.... thats at 30 fps... now at 50 fps, theres a far greater chance of your eye to see a image, the more images you see, the smoother it looks.....

kinda like this...

COMPUTER SCREEN FLASHES AT THESE INTERVALS
    |aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|

YOUR EYE SEES AT THESE INTERVALS
    |ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|

Now you put them together
    |aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|aba|
    |ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|ab|

(the letters are just the latency time between the images)
    you see where some lines meet (well, close enough) and some dont? so if this was a game running at 30 fps, and your eye sees at 40 fps, youre not going to see EVERY image, THATS why you can tell a difference between 30 and 50.
    Because there would be a better chance of the line meeting up if there were more of them

kinda confusig i know but if you think about it, it does make sense./....

your eyes are constantly taking pictures....

[This message has been edited by triton2 (edited 05-17-2000).]

Actually the rods in the human eye take about 0.05 seconds to refresh, so in effect it seems like the brain receinves new info at about 20-25fps. This does NOT mean that the brain will not see more then 20-25fps.

What I said earlier holds, but the info gets transmitted from the eyes to the brain every 0.05sec (or it takes 0.05 secs for an image to fade off the receprors). The eyes still receive radiation constantly so you will register everything that flashes in front of your eyes.
    "No doubt the truth, as usual, would be somewhere between the extremes" -Arthur C Clarke

Adding on to that, cones (color receptors, separate from the rods that detect brightness only) are slower to react.

The reaction time of the rods and cones has more to do with the speed of change you see IN ONE SPOT.

IOW, if you stare dead on a strobe light that is blinking at 20hz, it will give you a massive headache. The faster it gets (once again, staring at it NOT MOVING), the more it starts looking like a constant light. But MOVE your head or the strobe and you will see it flicker.

IMHE, 60hz for a CRT flickers badly. Once again, this is with a STATIC NON-MOVING, NOT MOVING MY HEAD image. 75hz looks like a constant image. But if I move the mouse around I still see it jump. In fact even at 150hz I still see it jump around even though the image brightness is flickering so fast (and so little) I couldn't possibly notice.

Same holds true for frames per second. The only caveat for frames per second is that the refresh rate must be higher than the frames per second. Also without v-sync you get tearing. The collision of refresh rate and fps causing tearing is a separate issue.

------------------
    BP6, C-366/550 (x2 some day), 320meg (again)
    CL TNT2U 175/220
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

i agree that in order to make a game look fluid you need a minimum of 30fps, but the reason why TV and movies etc. is because we are just watching them, not interacting with them. would you believe that most saturday morning cartoons are about 8-12fps? also the fact that we sit about 6 feet (or more) from the TV and about 1 foot (or less) could have something to do with it all.
    as a test, play a game with a long hallway, one with solid wall on all 4 sides, and try to get about 24-28 fps, either by increase color or res. or unclocking. then just 'walk' straight down it. then try it again and move the mouse around a lot, and maybe through in a bot or 2.
    Now if i'm right, you could watch the walking down the hallway, but could not interact with it. so it's not the eye that has a problem, it's everything else, and for god sakes remember to blink every once in awhile .

as for my theory on if we see real life in fps, i'd say that it's probebly comes at a constant rate which would be the speed of light.

as for me i'm going off to another galaxy to fend of evil.

[This message has been edited by drzaius (edited 05-21-2000).]
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

The speed of light? LOL so how many fps is the speed of light?

well how far does light go in 1 second?
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

i think light can go around the world 7 times in one second

i think that's fast enough to consider it constant

One electron travels at about 30000Km/h, to measure the fps in real life you just need to make a division between the circunference of the atom and the electron speed.
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

LOL@scientific theories!

otherwise no comment...

Thread Information