Do I still need 2 video cards?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Do I still need 2 video cards?

Do I still need 2 video cards?

I've had a V3 2000 and a Viper770 in my machine for the last few months in order to get the best performance and quality. The TNT2 just plain sucked at glide games (Unreal....) so I had to keep the V3. Well I just bought a GeForce SDR and UT looks awesome!! Now that I have a GeForce, do I still need to keep the V3 in my machine in order to best play old/upcoming glide games or can I get rid of it?
    "It was a good lay........"

Glide is officially a dead api; 3dfx is not going down that road anymore in the future. Does UT play better under glide than d3d? Yes. But the new 4.20 patch came out yesterday so I haven't tried the d3d code yet.

I would return it; the geforce is a better all-around card than the v3.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

Up a coming games are more likely to support Open Gl and D3D, so if you are happy with the Geforce's UT performance then, stay with it.

I however still find a Voodoo 3 runs Unreal / UT much better than the Geforce I had, even though it has been much improved with the latest patches. I just glides along in glide

No! You should take both your old cards and send them to me.

Unless you need the extra slot, you might as well keep them both in just incase you run an older game that only supports Glide or that the GeForce has a bug with and you are waiting for a patch.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

That's kinda what I was thinking, Todd a. If nothing else, at least I'll have a spare to get this thing booted up in case something happens.
    "It was a good lay........"

Thread Information