Vortex2 vs GeForce
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Vortex2 vs GeForce

Vortex2 vs GeForce

has anybody else got a vortex2 sound card and a GeForce?

I've got a SonicVOrtex2 and get constant crashes when used with by GeForce under both Win98 and 2000.

Neither company will accept that their hardware is wrong but if you take out the Vortex2 it works fine.

?????????????? Can anyone help?

Cheers in advance, Stephen

I had a vortex 2 pci plus a GeForce and got constant problems.

Removed it and replaced it with Sound blaster AWE 32 <ISA> and surprise: No more problems.

So I guess the best solution remains to replace your super Vortex 2 card.

Sorry, I tried almost every other ways and it's the only that seems to give me stability.

Sincerely,

eL_NiNo
    Regards,

el-nino

Try disabling the Sound Blaster Pro Emulation in your autoexec.bat file. Type REM before the line that mentions AU30DOS (or something similar).

------------------
    http://www.toonweb.co.uk

Does your motherboard have Via chipset? Sometime ago we (I and another from HWC) had problems with the following setup: Via chipset mobo, A3D 1.0 soundcard, and some AGP cards. We have also seen references in A3D's web site regarding incompatibilities with the Via/A3D/AGP combination.

I have since replaced my soundcard with SBLive Value (and I believe so did the other from HWC) and have had no problems since.

Try a simple test, disable the soundcard in Device Manager (check the "Disable in this hardware profile" for your soundcard) then reboot. See if the crashing goes away.
    Fun. What else is there?

SB Live Value boards are so cheap these days you may as well just dump the Vortex and get a SB Live. These are very sweet cards, at least I've never heared any better!

------------------
    Look out!!
    My train of thought is a runaway!!
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

Siamese Guest
    Buddy try swapping PCI slots with the vortex and install the latest drivers. It solved a lot of problems for me and my GeF and Vort2
    and P3v4x.

I've tried all the suggestions above and I think I'm gonna replace it with a Live!1024 card.

I really wanted the A3D though as Quake III doesn't support EAX.

I DO have a VIA chipset so that could be it.
    Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks, Stephen

Yes I like the A3D technology too. Too bad the company's folding up -- I think. We (the consumer) can benefit from the competition.

Actually, that may be another reason to switch to CL Live. At least they'll be around for tech support. And I don't think there's many who's dissatisfied with CL products.
    Fun. What else is there?

Thread Information