Tearing and Pixel Corruption
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Tearing and Pixel Corruption

Tearing and Pixel Corruption

Still have the lockup problem with my DV770 TNT2, but Im attacking another problem which occurs as well.

Severe tearing and lines of corrupted pixels keep appearing on my screen. Any ideas? Here are the specs.

C500A, Asus P2-99 mobo w/latest rev. BIOS, 128MB PC100 RAM in slot 3, 17" TTX Monitor w/latest drivers, 16MB DV770 TNT2 video card with clean install of detonator 2.08 AGP drivers, fresh install of Win98 with DX6.1 (Im not upgrading to 7.0, as I think that was part of my problem). Nothing's OC'd, and I've tried the standard PowerStrip/TweakBIOS/other tweaks suggested by Tweak 3d. I also have a blower fan parked next to the TNT2 so I know overheating's not a problem. I can touch the heatsink while a demo of Q2 is running in GL mode. To date, the longest uptime I've had without a lock is 45mins with Quake 2, and about the same with Halflife. Again, these lockups only occur while using DX and OpenGL apps/games. Help with EITHER problem is appreciated!!!

Try ussing power strip to clock down your card and see if it help. Tearing is usually from clocking it too high. If this fixes your problems, then you need to get another card. Just what ever you do, bo not mention that you modified the cooling or used an overclocker, just act dumb and tell them your problem.

Also are the detonator drivers 2.08 from Diamond or Nvidia?
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

The 2.08's are from Nvidia, and I've already tried the PowerStrip fix, and it didn't help. That and the fact that this is the SECOND DV770 card I've tried out on this system, leaves me quite baffled!

Is V-Sync disabled ? if so this could explain the Tearing and corruption you are encountering. V-Sync syncs the video cards frame rates to the monitors maximum acheivable refresh rate. So if your refresh rate is 75 then the max Frames Per Second you can get is 75 fps.

To clock your card down the easy way download this ;
    http://www.tweak3d.net/files/tntclk.zip

A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Yep, flipping VSync on and off didn't affect things one way or the other.

I got email back from the people at Diamond and they were telling me it may be a problem with the AGP slot. I think not. I may just have to resort to buying a new motherboard though to see if they're right or wrong. But,...I don't see that as a viable option.

I'm back folks!!!
    I just re-installed Windows 98, and hence had to reinstall the latest drivers for all of my devices, including my DV770. But my pixel corruption problem came back! The pixels that are being corrupted occur not in games, but while using apps on the desktop. In fact, as you read this, there are lines of pixels popping up at random all over my screen. The only thing that's changed from October, is that I have DirectX7.0a and the Detonator 3.68 drivers from Nvida installed. No other specs (relative to my first post) have changed. Help is appreciated. Skywalker? You still around?

I'm back folks!!!
    I just re-installed Windows 98, and hence had to reinstall the latest drivers for all of my devices, including my DV770. But my pixel corruption problem came back! The pixels that are being corrupted occur not in games, but while using apps on the desktop. In fact, as you read this, there are lines of pixels popping up at random all over my screen. The only thing that's changed from October, is that I have DirectX7.0a and the Detonator 3.68 drivers from Nvida installed. No other specs (relative to my first post) have changed. Help is appreciated. Skywalker? You still around?

Thread Information