Should I switch?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Should I switch?

Should I switch?

Hi all,
    I am running a voodoo2 alongside a standard 8meg vid card and it seems fine to me. Would I see much improvement if I updrade to say a voodoo3 or better?

------------------
    You want it when??????
    Yeah right!
    GOOD vs EVIL.....you decide!

Depends on your system and the games you want to play. If your running on an older system (pentium class for eg), you probably won't get anything out of a newer card. If the vid is the slowest thing in your machine or if your card does not allow you to play the games you like at acceptable framerates, then go for it.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using an AMD K62-450@475,128meg ram,
    voodoo2,8meg vid card,std sound.
    I like things like UT & Q3 anything
    fast and furious.
    GOOD vs EVIL.....you decide!

Hmm. That' a solid machine, I think you would notice a big performance difference by jumping to a different card. Unfortunately, like you I'm not sure what I'd do. On one hand you could get better performance now. On the other, if you wait for something like the new voodoos you might be blown away.

Usually, I think "buy now." There are and will alway be bigger and better just around the corner and if you wait for those you wait forever. However, in this situation I think you should wait. *gulp* Here's why--the new products like NV15 and new voodoos are being released now which will drive down the current prices. You could grab something like a NV10 DDR or Voodoo3 much cheaper in a few weeks. With one of these you may already be cpu limitted which would make a newer card rather pointless. (No disrespect, this is just my humble opinion). You already said that the games seem fine so you can afford to wait.

Thread Information