Which video card for limited game player?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which video card for limited game player?

Which video card for limited game player?

I have a Pentium 111 600, 128Mb RAM, 18Gig HD. I don't play games that often,but would like to be able to play the more recent games from time to time.
    I therefore don't want to pay a fortune for the latest/greatest video card but I do need something that will be work ok. The shops I have tried do not give much advice except to try and sell whatever thet happen to have in stock.
    I have read about the Voodoo and TNT 2 and the TNT 2/64. For a general purpose games card that is very compatible with most games and is cost effective, what should I get.?

Thanks

Do not, I repeat, not get a tnt2/m64 card; those things are awful. I'd recommend either:

- Geforce256
    - V3 3000/3500
    - TNT2U

What games do you like to play? 3dfx is a better card for Unreal-based engine games while nVidia is great for Quake-based games.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

You may want to get an ATI, I have an ATI Rage Fury. I know there are not too many people out there with them but mine works fine. On top of that, they are relatively inexpensive, and have good features (tv out, hardware decoding for dvd, etc).
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

Personally I'd highly recommend a 32 MB Matrox G400. Maybe even a G400Max, but then with a P3 600 you probably won't maxx out a normal G400's fill rate, either.

The advantages: _excellent_ image quality, rock-stable drivers, and pretty low cost these days. Granted it doesn't have a GeForce's fill rate, but it doesn't have all those problems, either. For the casual gamer who doesn't enjoy tweaking and experimenting with beta drivers and AGP settings, I'd say the G400 is pretty much perfect. You just drop it in, install the drivers and that's it, it works like a charm.

Only thing: don't get a 16 MB G400, even though they're cheaper. Unless my memory fails me, due to the dual bus architecture of a G400, a 32 MB one actually gets twice the memory bandwidth of a 16 MB one. I.e., it actually works quite a bit faster.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Siamese Guest
    i think the geforce is too expensive if ur just gonna use it occasionally. And the TNT2 is much better but still a bit expensive.

Id go for the Voodoo 3 3000. Its relatively cheap 180 bucks canadian (OEM) w/ TV-out and u can overclockit to perform on par with a voodoo 3 3500. Atleast my old one did. My Geforce is good and all , but my voodoo 3 performs damn close using the Wicked GL drivers in quake 3 and its 200 bucks cheaper.

Even though teh image quality is not as good, the graphics are still very presentable.

Dunno, a quick look on Price Watch shows that you can get a 32 MB G400 for around 135$, and a 16 MB one for around 95$. The 16 MB one is quite in the same price range as the 16 MB Voodoo 3000, and produces much better image quality.

------------------

Thread Information