Windows 98: Performance Gain
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows 98: Performance Gain

Windows 98: Performance Gain

This is the thing, yesterday i upgraded my win95 osr2.1 to win98 (install win98 over 95).

And a very funny thing happend, i actually get a 30-40% performance boost in my tnt2 ultra (same drivers), i can't understand why is that, i have the usbsupp installed on my old win95, it allows win95 to have full-AGP support.

So i get to conclude this: win98 it's actually faster than win95, of course, with the proper hardware.

Any comments, or stories like this one????
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Windows 98 simply likes video cards better. Also better native agp support. Kudos for the upgrade? I think, though, a format to full install would have done you one even better.

I really tough that, but i have all my system setup just like i like it, anyway if i do a full re-install i will have to install a lot of applications...and then tune the system.....ahhhhhh, i better keep it just like it is now.

Anyway, a full install from zero sometimes wouldn't be better than a good upgrade from a very tuned win95....(just my opinion)
    OTCentral

Win98 handles the system memory much more efficient. That contributes to the performance increase.

I was playing Heretic 2 when I upgraded, and I was stunned. Had to change back to check, and the stuttering graphics was back. Win98 is cool in that sense.

last time i did a format, took me 5 hours to fully setup config everything...

not very pleasant experience

Drink alot of beer while you re-install. Not too much though, as the installation may be suffering from you being too drunk.

Try Symantec Ghost, a backup program. VERY nice. Copies all of c: to a file in no time, and it is as easy as 1-2-3 to restore it. Make a backup of windows with as little as possible installed, and you save yourself a LOT of trouble.

/Salmoneus

TOTALLY!!!!!! if you have win 95 and are trying to play games, forget it!!! 98 runs games twice as fast!

98 is much better than 95....... i do have a question though, can 98se run games better than 98 regular????

I can tell that win98se it's a bit slower than the original, but in games i couldn't tell you.

I've found more stable win98 original than win98se, and more, the win98 (original) upgrade it's better than the full-install, and the upgrade version allows you to install from zero, it just asks for a disk of a previous version of windows.
    OTCentral

And how is the upgrade better than the full install?

------------------
    www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored

Updated May 2, 2000
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Win98se seems to have problems with some game installers. When installation is finished, the whole installation vanishes! Frustrating enough. One example is Outcast, don't remember which one the other I had problems with was.

Thread Information