can someone exaplain AGP pro and what cards will be...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: can someone exaplain AGP pro and what cards will be...

can someone exaplain AGP pro and what cards will be...

in this format?

i know the current games aren't utilized to use AGP Pro yet, but are the newer cards coming out going to be AGP Pro? and when are these type cards scheduled to come out...if ever?

thanks.

AGP Pro refers only to a physical form factor. The Pro has a keyed connector so that Pro cards can not be inserted into standard slots but standard cards can be placed in a Pro slot. The big difference is that Pro cards draw more power and the Pro connector is supposed to be able to deliver it. There are actually two levels of AGP Pro power specs : Pro50 and Pro110. The signalling and throughput of AGP Pro is the same as AGP 4X.

Check this page at Anandtech for more info.

I found an Mobo with a pro slot today (an Asus one, can't remember the number, was an i820 chip though), the Pro slot is longer than old AGP, starting where the old one starts, and going on to almost the end of the PCI slots. Looks to me like you could get a standard AGP card in there, but as Gomez said there aint no way you'll ever get a Pro card in a Standard slot.

------------------
    Look out!!
    My train of thought is a runaway!!
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

My Asus K7V (VIA KX133 based Athlon board) has AGP Pro.

Apparently The Asus V6800 Geforce DDR, 64MB version is AGP Pro.

thank everyone. very useful info.

no i have a k7v as well. the reason i asked when "these" AGP cards would be coming out was so i could time my purchase of my next card. right now i have a CL TNTUltra on it. but would like to get a newwer card in a few months.

perva. will look into that card..sounds interesting w/64mb DDR

All ASUS boards have AGP Pro slots. They are backwards compatible to standard AGP slots. The longer slot has extra power pin for the higher demands of newer proffesional cards.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information