Graphics bus bandwidth - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphics bus bandwidth

Oops had it backwards, 66mhz PCI was first. I still question whether the AGP is really maxed out. I know texture transfers directly from memory may peak at the maximum bandwidth but I would be very suprised if any system is pushing 1.06GB/s sustained polygon rate. The guys at www.reactorcritical.com did an article and determined that the GeForce only had a 350MB/s throughput. Pretty technical article and the translation is sketchy but it did boil down to the 350MB/s throughput. This doesn't even approach AGP2X of 533MB/s.

Huh, I'll have to check that article... Do you have a direct link, I wouldn't want to wade through the entire reactorcritical site
    "No doubt the truth, as usual, would be somewhere between the extremes" -Arthur C Clarke

You are exactly right ! At this point in time no system RAM and chipset configurations can fill up the AGP. That is why, in most tests, little performance improvement is seen between AGP2X and AGP4X.

There was a Guy rang up the shop where I work last week looking for AGP Plus cards, from what I heared AGP Plus is the (not released yet) new standard to replace AGP, I havn't got any real info on it and I can't even remember where I heared it, has anyone else heared anything similar or was I dreaming?

------------------
    Look out!!
    My train of thought is a runaway!!
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

The link is pretty long but here it is:
    http://www.reactorcritical.com/revie...ceinside.shtml

Very long article but interesting, if you can understand it. It appears that the T&L unit of the GeForce is the bottleneck and not memory bandwidth or fillrate.

Thread Information