Viper II or Geforce SDR
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Viper II or Geforce SDR

Viper II or Geforce SDR

Ok iam on budget and cant afford anything fancier.
    Which i best on my Celeron 400@500?
    Play ALOT of UT but and some direct3d games but no opengl games.
    Also which can card can take the 83mhz buss best.
    Thanks alot.

it depends on your budget if you deciced to get a geforce make sure it is ddr becuase the sdr really sucks in ut. but over all the geforce would work better on that system. upgradeing from an sdr geforce to a ddr geforce is only like $30 or $40 depending on what card you get. the best ddr card in my opinion is the asus V6800 pure. if you want tv out and all that stuff get asus V6800 delux. you can probably get the delux for like $300 to $350 and the pure is probably $250 to $300 and the sdr is like $200 to $225. look around at all the different cards and youll make the right choice. also is you get a geforce i think you will want to use opengl because it has an amazing t&l engine i also think it can take an 85 mhz bus just check on the card beforer you buy it

[This message has been edited by morphious (edited 05-04-2000).]
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

A good priced geforce is the leadteck Winfast DDR Rev.B...Its a good performaer as well, but make sure you get revision B. Also the CL Annihilator is quite cheap now...if your on a budget i wouldnt get an asus board...they are amazing boards, but they are expensive. As for Viper 2, if you really cant afford anything better, go for it, but be warned: Diamonds drivers and tech support leave much to be desired. They havent even released drivers enabling the T&L which was its main selling point. Also it sucks at high res. I do hear its good for UT though. If you can wait a few weeks, the Geforce 2 will be out so geforce prices should go down a lot...otherwise have you considered V3? the 3000version is fairly cheap and although it doesnt support 32bit colour, its a good Q3 and UT performer.

------------------
    Planet Phatt "The Swing System"
    Planet Phatt "The Swing System"

Intel RoXoRs 411

I have a V6800 DDR, and a V6600 SDR, and I think the V6600 SDR performs ok in UT.
    It is not that gigantic difference.

And when it come to tech support, have a look at my writing in <What about Nvidia drivers>.

------------------
    B.R:
    arne16
    16 is not age:-)
    arne16@hotmail.com
    B.R:
    arne16
    16 is not age:-)
    arne16@hotmail.com

Thread Information