New TV, or monitor?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: New TV, or monitor?

Hybrid View

New TV, or monitor?

I need a new monitor, but I figured- why bother, if I can just get a TV, and hook that up? Something tells me that there are problems associated with this, but I can't think of any. Can you?

+ I can watch normal TV without buying a TV card!

------------------
    Oh, oh- Where's the "any" key?
    E-mail: tong_james@hotmail.com

If you haven't tried hooking up a TV before, you won't have noticed that the resolution and picture quality are crap compared to a monitor. Also - sitting close to a TV will give you eye strain, whilst sitting next to a monitor all day will not hurt a bit.

USSVoyager

------------------
    Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!

First, on a TV you'd be hard pressed to display more than 640x480. There are just not enough lines in the TV standard to support more than that. And IMHO 640x480 is a bit passe right now. I already know of games that won't even work at all under 800x600 (e.g., "The Sims"). Heck, even for web browsing there are many sites out there designed for 800x600, or even for 1024x768.

Also, TV refresh rate is 60 Hz interlaced for north America, or 50 Hz interlaced for Europe. That boils down to 30 or 25 Hz, only split into alternating frames that draw only the even/odd lines. It's enough for viewing large blobs of colour from a distance, but you don't want to focus on small details on that one. (E.g., on the letters when editing something.) Ergonomy says you need at least 75Hz, NON-interlaced, for reasonable eye comfort. (Or to reuse an old cliche: don't do that. You'll go blind )

There are even more limiting factors than even that. E.g., your average cheap TV has been designed to display images with relatively smooth colour transitions. It doesn't need to have mondo signal bandwidth, like good monitors do, for sharp edges.

------------------
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild
    Moraelin -- the proud member of the Idiots' Guild

Like I said, TV's are crap for anything besides TV.

Haven't people ever noticed the game console visuals look crap compared to PC visuals? That's why I will never buy a game console.

you forgot movies and nintendo
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

oh ya sitting infront of a monitor wont give yoyu eye strian my *** i read stuff and get so into it i dont blink then when i blink it kills and my eyes water just thought i would add that its kinda funny if you see me do it
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

If you blinked more often, it wouldn't hurt as much. Also, I don't want to offend anyone (honestly) but Nintendos suck compared to PCs.

Thread Information