Nvidia Mighty NV15 vs 3DFX's Big Boys Voodoo 5k and 6k
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Nvidia Mighty NV15 vs 3DFX's Big Boys Voodoo 5k and 6k

Nvidia Mighty NV15 vs 3DFX's Big Boys Voodoo 5k and 6k

Whose gonna whoop more *** sometime in the next few years...Nvidias NV15 chip or 3DFX's Voodoo 5 and 6's
    Comp Setup: Pentium III 550mhz,128mbs PC-100 SDRAM, 17 gig Seagate HHD, Guillemot Xentor 32,Sony IDE CDRW 4x4x32x,8x DVDROM, Guillemot Fortissimo Sound - Second Comp Dual Celeron 366 at 550 (5.5x100) on Abit BP6, 256mbs CAS 2 PC100 SDRAM, 30gig IBM 7200rpm UDMA/66, Guillemot 3d Prophet, Soundplaster X-GAMER

I dont really know but Nvidia's quad pump engine looks good, but 3dfx are always good. Hopefully its close so 3dfx can charge less for their ****.
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

I don't know about this one. The NV15 stats look nice, but I think the Voodoo5 will be faster. 3DFX has always been able to optimize better. Look what they did with the Voodoo3. It is only a 143Mhz chip that can do 143Mpexels (or 286Mtexels) and only has 16MB memory. Yes the NT2 was faster in most thing, but not by much. The GeForce is pretty good, but tops out way too fast. The Voodoo5 5500 should haul. The main thing going is the NV15 is planning on being released at almost the same time, but avaluability will not be good until June. The prices will be pretty high also (or a bunch of manufacturers are going to be pissed about sitting on their GeForce256 cards). I'm guessing the NV15 will run over $400 and the Voodoo5 5500 will run undr $300 and prices will drop as they head into summer.

With the releases so close to gether (and only 2-3 weeks away), we shall all see how they compair VERY soon). I'm leaning a little more towards the Voodoo5, but if the NV15 is better and does not cost too much, it's mine!
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

That pretty well sums up my attitude Todd a. But, the new ATI card sounds very good also. According to the specs, its multitexturing fill rate is right up there with the NV15.
    It will be interesting to see how they all compare.

ronan Guest
    what...the...HELL is an nv15? OH well, I finally broke a record as far as having the most up to date piece of hardware fot the longest time ever (a whole 5 weeks). My DDI Prophet is about to become..OBSOLETE? WTF!

Ya ronan, NV15 is going to be the latest and great card NVIDIA has to offer and the Voodoo5 6000 is the best 3DFX will have to offer in the next month or so. It depends how the cards stack up but I'm leaning toward the Voodoo5 5500 or 6000 because of how much I love my Voodoo3 3000. UT run just great with it!

The NV15 well be a better card. it is supposed to be running at 200MHz core which with its quad pump arcitectute it will have a fill rate of 1,600 pixels per second. The V5 6000 is only 1,200pixels per second i think. so its your chose.

The most official speed for the NV15 is 160Mhz. That is the specs Nvidia said the card would be. Maybe for Christmas they will drop the manufacturing process and hit 200. Remember, they need memory to go with this thing and its going to be expensive enough. These GeForces are memory bandwidth starved and 300Mhz DDR is not enough. 400Mhz DDR would cost way too much.

I don't know much about S3's new one (if the company survives), or ATI's and Matrox's. I've only seen a few tidbits, but I don't think they will be out until latter this summer.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

My vote goes to N15.
    Don't forget image quality. I hear alot of speed here, but don't forget that the V3 did run fast, but against the TNT2 it looked like crap. NVidia is pretty good about improving image quality and also pumping out eye buzzing speeds. 3dfx is infamous for giving good speed with agerage eye candy. I've said this before, I don't wanna have motion blur, I've been reading on the web aobut that and most who've seen it in action say it's either unnoticable or really bugs and causes eye strain, so that'll be an option I'd turn off. I'm sure they'll all be good cards and anyone who owns either will be happy.

------------------
    System:
    Celeron 366 @ 458
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

3dfx certainly are talented, but i am a little worried for them since they missed a whole card cycle. The new 3d cards are all what should have competed against the Ge-Force.

Also FSAA looks good but cuts the fill rate by 4 !!!! This will make the v5 essentially perform like a v3 in games where FSAA 4x is enabled. Thats pretty good though.

People say the image quality on the Voodoo3 was not as good as the TNT2. My Voodoo3 looked gust as good as a friend of mine's TNT2. I did have a better quality monitor so the colors were VERY crisp (Samsung SyncMaster 700s... very nice 17"). It also handle most games better, less lock-ups (none) and easier to install.

I think the Voodoo5 5500 will be very nice with what they already have in the Voodoo3 plus 32bit color, larger textures, FSAA, and better coptimisations. 3DFX said a similarly clocked Voodoo4 4500 will perform 20-30% faster than a Voodoo3.

As for FSAA, yes it is a performance hit, but on some systems its the CPU not the graphics card that is the bottle neck and some people's monitors can't run beyond 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (like mine), so i is nice to have something to do with the extra fillrate. Also a 2x FSAA is avaluable and gives about the same image boost as the GeForces FSAA (super sampling).

I think the NV15 will be about the same as the Voodoo5 5500, but it will also cost more. Also to Voodoo5 will have a higher bandwidth capability. If the Voodoo5 use 166Mhz memory, it will have the same as the NV15 using 332Mhz DDR. If they manage to release at 183Mhz, thas's 366Mhz.

As for them missing a cycle, so what. The Voodoo4 is one cycle and the Voodoo5 is the second. They just held it back and released them at the same time. Do you see a budget version of the NV15? No, the Geforce is too expensive and will probably be replaced by the NV15, so the TNT2 is their budget card. 3DFZ has the Voodoo4 as their budget card and only need to manufacture one card. They might even make a super budget version (like the Velocity 100) and put out a 16MB version clocked at 150Mhz with no active cooling (probably an OEM card).

I dont think that 3Dfx will be better. Yeah, V5 6000 will be extreme fast card, but how many of you will pay 600 bucks for that? And when you turn on FSAA the fillrate will dramaticly fall down, and double it on multitexture games where nVIDIA cards are faster.
    I think NV15 with 64MB will crush even 128MB V5. Look at that perfect technology that nVIDIA offers, mainly T&L will improve performance in future, EBM will be aslo added and texture compresion ofcourse, the FSAA will be also present, so why should I buy 3Dfx for 600 bucks? 3Dfx has got just FSAA and thats all. And not very good performance in multitexture games of 3Dfx's chips.
    Thats it. V5 will be damn fast one, specialy with FSAA turned OFF, but if turn it on, it will dramaticly fall down. It will still be OK at 1024x768x32, but when new games come out, games with more polygons and textures, it wont be enough.
    nVIDIA rulez and nobody will change it.

Whoa, slow down ToddA.

This isn't an argument. I will buy whatever card is best, so what i prefer doesnt really matter. Being subjective is fine, just as long as you constantly re-calculate your alternates.

------------------
    I eat meat, as long as it is cooked

Thread Information