Geforce DDR question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Geforce DDR question

Hybrid View

ronan Guest

Geforce DDR question

I notice that sometimes, the graphics on certain games like q3arena (not UT) begin to rip[ something fierce! I dont suffer slowdown, and it seems to be only at certain points of the arena; also happens on some other games. I have:

Geforce DDR DVI 32 mb on k6-3 400 with 128 mb ram on a p5b-2 mobo with a *sigh* ali chipset. Any suggestions on why this is happening and why it is worse sometimes and not at others? Thanx.

Textural tearing that occurs can be helped in Q3 by changing seta r_swapInterval "0" to "1" in the Q3 config file. This enables Vsync. You should tick enable Vsync in the card settings tab to help tearing in other games, this will sync to refresh rate and improve the tearing, try upping your refresh rate as well if you can.

I've also had much better results with the beta 5.13 Detonators. S3TC texture compresion helps with DM9 slowdowns with full eyecandy.

www.reactorcritical.com

There is also a AGP EXE in these later betas for ali chipset mobos

Check out the Geforce faq

http://go.to/geforcefaq

BladeRunner

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 04-03-2000).]

ronan Guest
    THANK you! I changed my monnitor's refresh rate from Optimal to 75 mhz and BAM. Tearing was cut to like a fourth of what it was, next to not even noticable with very little slowing up of performance. I am about to install the latest drivers now... GeForce Prophet DDR ROX! and so do u..thanx.

ronan Guest
    BUT..those drivers DECREASED my fps by TEN! they had ta go...

I'm not sure what drivers you are using but 3.68 and newer have extra features lighting & palletised texture support in 3.72 which will register a performance hit in benchmarks but look and run better.

have you got slow down in DM9 with full settings? if so the 5 xx drivers help with S3TC additions. It's all in the FAQ

BladeRunner

ronan Guest
    Bro im using the 3.58 drivers, and gettinga solid 40-45 fps per second on q3dm 9 AND q3dm 16, with unparalleld graphics. Plus its smooth (note: realized from friends pentium and crappy vid card that HIGH fps doesnt automatically mean smooth play). Those 5. whatever drivers slowed it up something fierce. As for those multitextured bla bla blas, i dont think it will make a diff until a game comes out that uses them.

The 3.58 based drivers don't support alot of the features of this card and will show higher FPS and bench higher. It's all in the FAQ do take the time to read it you will learn alot about the Geforce.

Lighting effects,paletised texture, FSSA, S3TC, and a fix for midtown madness plus smoother general performance have come about in the later drivers. The 5.13 is my choice.

The 3.58 don't support these and as such will show higher results, it's a bit like turning down details to improve fps.

It's up to you but, I thought the original drivers for this card sucked the big one sideways on release, read here.

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/007650.html

BladeRunner

ronan Guest
    Well, it's true. The drivers do in fact touch up the graphics so much that tearing is pretty much (no, is) non existant. Damn. FULL screen anti-aliasing? Unfortunately, Q3arena is NOT acceptable at 31 fps when ya just spent 300 bucks ot remedy that problme. Ill stick to my 3.15's or whatever until they find a decent balance. Dont you find it queer, though that such an expensive card STIL slows up AT ALL with the details all on? If i wanted blur i would have stuck with my tnt 2 16 mb!

ronan Guest
    You know? I haven't had HALF the problems you had with the geforce, however, i have read it a few times already: WTF!!?!! Performance is top notch, but is a trade off for..TEARING? This is NOT acceptable! I thought i was alone on that one. It seems that this massive card is actualy to good for its fill rate!

Thread Information