TNT2 PCI slow FPS can anyone help me PLEASE
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT2 PCI slow FPS can anyone help me PLEASE

TNT2 PCI slow FPS can anyone help me PLEASE

Hi dudes,
    I have an AMDK-6II@450mHz,128MB SDram,32Mb TNT2(PCI).My card runs slow framerate(25FPS in Q3a @1280x1024)My friends PII300 and 96Mb and vodoo3 runs at way higher rate(40-50)Does anyone know why?Is the PCI TNT2 crap.I have heard it has only half performance of AGP is this true?Also I think I may have an Ali motherboard.When I click on system control in the control panel it says Ali Bus master....and Ali primary... does this mean an Ali mother board?
    I bought this setup from my friendly PC dealer and now think I have been shafted.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for taking time to read this SOS

don't truly know why this is, but i have an AMD K6-2 500 with 64megs ram, i have the TNT-2Ultra 32meg AGP and in Quake 3 i only get around 35-40 FPS, but in Unreal Tournament, i get upto 150 FPS, like i said i don't know why this is happening, but in my case, i believe my problem is my HD, it is a REALLY old 2 gigger (gonna get a 27 gigger next week) have you tried using new drivers? maybe the 5.13's? they helped me out quite a bit.

I think that you'll both find the ****ty results in Q3Arena are because of ur CPU's. The K6-2's FPU is rubbish and Q3 is very cpu dependant. I don't think it is ur video cards because u r gettin good results in Unreal Tourny, no??

Your graphic card is OK, and you have slow CPU for QIII.

Play the game in 800x600 in 16bit colour and it while be OK.

Also Ali chipset is not bad it only hase problems with AGP compatibility and only with Nvidia cards and only if your Nvidia based graphic card is AGP.

TNT cards require powerfull pipelined FPU unit from the CPU, and K6-x CPUs dont have that.

And your friend on PII 300 hase faster graphic card. any AGP V3 is faster then TNT2 Ultra, and less demanding on CPU power.

I have a TNT2 Vanta 32MB PCI, Cyrix M2-300MHz, 64MB RAM and the demo of Q3A runs very fast even in 1280x1024.
    System:-

Cyrix M2-PR300MHz with MMX
    64MB SD RAM
    32MB Creative 3D Blaster Riva TNT2 Vanta PCI 2D/3D Card
    6.4GB HDD
    Super Socket 7 M/B
    512KB Cache
    SB 16
    32x CD-ROM
    Rockwell/Conexant 56K V.90 Modem
    15" Daewoo Monitor
    Windows 98 SE

In unreal I only get19.39 FPS at 800x600 things should run better than this,true?

Maybe but not mutch better, just few FPS like QIII, it`s becouse TNT2 sucks with UT especialy with old titles of unreal.

That is foult of 3d engine that is not very good optimized for enything else then Glide and that is default for 3Dfx.

In my opinion for good playing in test mode of any game you must have 40FPS in desired resolution, so how you could say that your gamses are playable.

Well don`t be dissapointed with my post cous I have old K6-2@450 with Voodoo 3 and on that machine I can play QIII and UT.

Simply Nvidia based graphic cards and K6 are not very good match, but they can be if you put lots of efort to make it to work better.

How your K6-2 is setuped, what is FSB speed, how did you setuped your memory setings, and your TNT2 is that real TNT2 chip or just TNT2 M64 cous M64 hase only 64 bit wide bus that comunicate with memory and that card realy sucks in hi res, and is equal to real TNT2 only in 640x480.

Play all your gemes in 16 bit colour.

32 MB of RAM on the graphic card is helpfull only when you play in hi res, and with big textures, and for that it must be AGP card cous all that graphic data cant be sent to graphic card through PCI slot with good results, cous PCI works on 33MHZ only, and it shares heas bandwith with other devices in the system, like IDE controlers, sound card, etc.

Also if you have ISA sound card that can be reason of loosing 5-15% of performances in games, becouse of slow ISA characteristics.

Also I advice you to use DirectX 6.1a that comes with WIN98SE cous is better optimized for 3DNow, and that is helpfull in D3D games and you play UT in D3D mode.

How to uninsall DX I don`t know, and I know you cant install older wersion of DX over newer one. I maded fresh clean new install of Windows.

This is just few tips, and I hope u while make your PC to rock cous he can rock you just need to tweake it a bit.

Thread Information