Socket 7 and Geforce
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Socket 7 and Geforce

Socket 7 and Geforce

Are there any known issues between the agp port and the Geforce video cards on a super socket 7 motherboard? I was told that they didn't supply enough voltage to run them properly.

Only some verisons of MBs with MVP3 chipset work good with GeForce.

If you have Ali don`t buy GeForce or any Nvidia based gaphic card.

What is the problem with using Nvidia-based cards with an ALi chipset?

AGP incompatibilities, but there is an option to instal TNT and TNT2 based cards as PCI cards and then an 99% Ali based MBs evrything is OK.

That is something that must be provided from graphic card manufacturer, and ASUS hase that option.

As I onderstanded problem is in some sort of timing, and not power related, I was to pised, to read about the problem cous when I was trying to instal my old TNT card on my old K6-2@450, 2 years ago, evryone was keepeng mouth shout about the problem.

Ali and Nvidia did not found the solution for the problem, exept when you loosing AGP features (that stupid way to go oround the problem is maded just few moths ago) and that sucks, but they have maded something else, Ali 7 chipset with Nvidia graphic, also crap if you ask me.

But all in all that is not much of a problem cous V3 is mutch, better card for Super Socket 7 users.

ok...I've purchased a leadtek winfast geforce card and installed it on my system. BIG problems until I installed my win98 ver 2 upgrade. It has something to do with the bus drivers. Card seems to run great after that upgrade. My mb is the VIA Apollo chipset in case you're wondering.

ronan Guest
    OKay. Here it is. You people are NUTS. I had first in my p5ab

1) Vvidia tnt 2 16 mb
    NOW

3d Prophet Geforce DDI DDE 32 mb card.

BOTH worked. NEVER crashed. I have the ali chipset. And..do NOT switch from agp to pci compatibility mode, i think this will only slow things up on the socket 7.

I just bought a tnt2u agp and k6-2 on an Asus P5A (ALi chipset) with the latest bioses. At first Windows would get blocks of colour overtop of the desktop and 10-15 min of stability, a graphics driver fixed this. However Windows would then freeze after 10 min max. I disabled AGP turbo Mode in the bios and it is now stable. Changing the AGP aperture size, as suggested elsewhere, helped but did not fix the stability completely. I have noticed that the graphics aren't performing upto their capability, but at least I can use the computer now.

Thread Information