AGP BUS?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AGP BUS?

AGP BUS?

Can someone explain to me what the AGP Bus should be set to? My Voodoo3 2000 is at 60MHz right now, I can also run it at 90MHz, but wont this make it hotter? Is this like overclocking? because I understand that AGP is 66MHz.

Also what does "AGP Memory Aperture" mean and what should it be set to for maximum performance? Right now I have it at 64MB

Thanks a lot !
    Cel 366@500
    196MB PC133
    Voodoo3 2000 AGP

here's one about aperture size:

AGP Aperture Size (MB)

Options : 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256

This option selects the size of the AGP aperture. The aperture is a portion of the PCI memory address range dedicated as graphics memory address space. Host cycles that hit the aperture range are forwarded to the AGP without need for translation. This size also determines the maximum amount of system RAM that can be allocated to the graphics card for texture storage.

The size of the aperture does not correspond to performance so increasing it will not improve performance. However, many graphics card require a larger than 8MB AGP aperture size to work properly. As a rule of the thumb, an AGP aperture size of half the system RAM is usually the best setting.

and another about bus:

The AGP bus runs at system bus speed (66MHz, 75MHz, 83MHz, 100MHz) whereas the PCI bus usually runs at 1/2 the system bus speed (33MHz, 37.5MHz, 41.5MHz). Obviously, the AGP bus has much greater bandwidth.

try your different settings and feel the voodoo chip with sys shut down rite away touching the chasis first to discharge yourself or just get close to chip and feel how much heat is emanating from the chip if it feels too hot as compared to a normal setting then put a fan on it to get a little longer life out of it. but thats up to you if you o/c and don't put a fan on it(forgot if voodoo comes with fan) then you'll fry the life out of it soon enough or back off a little again its your call.
    hope this helps.

------------------
    HOCKEY RULES!

cool! I have a 3in fan blowing right thru it
    Cel 366@500
    196MB PC133
    Voodoo3 2000 AGP

Thread Information