Screen flickering in Quake 3 on a TnT2 Ultra w/AMD 3Dnow 500mhz
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Screen flickering in Quake 3 on a TnT2 Ultra w/AMD 3Dnow 500mhz

Screen flickering in Quake 3 on a TnT2 Ultra w/AMD 3Dnow 500mhz

I have problem with my Creative Riva TNT 2 ultra on Quake 3 arena. The screen flickers (acting like it has a refresh rate problem) when I play any other OpenGL game. I tried the latest drivers and all the recommended settings but that just cut the framerate and didn't solve the problem. The i found out if i disabled GL extensions in Q3, it would stop flickering, but it made the game go pretty slow. I have a AMD k6 2 3dnow (500mhz) and a VIA MVP3 based motherboard. Does anyone out there have a solution, because it would be greatly appreciated.

did you ever install the mobo drivers for agp and everything else for the mobo and then look for updated drivers for mobo as well.
    after that if still a problem try flashing the bios for latest update but before all of this try an earlier ver of drivers just to see if you get better action if available. by disabling gl extensions then its possible your mobo and or other hardware may need better drivers to catch up so to speak.
    let us know progress.

------------------
    HOCKEY RULES!

Yeah I did all of that and I even did what creative told me to do with the BIOs. The GL extensions worked but it ran really slow (i have a AMD k6 500).

Which Drivers are you using? the Creative Labs latest drivers? nVIDIA Drivers? i have a K6-2 500MHZ with the exact same Video Card. i will try to find a quake demo, and get back to you on that, but for right now, i am using the nVIDIA 3.77 drivers, they work REALLY great. alot better then the CL Drivers. one problem is that these drivers aren't on the nVIDIA web site. if you need them, i can send them to you, cuz i don't remember where i got them. ok man, i just downloaded the quake 3 demo, and tried it out, it seems flawless on my compy, so i think it is a safe bet to say that it is the drivers. let me know if you want the drivers i am using.

[This message has been edited by monkapotomus (edited 03-26-2000).]

I have Win98... sure, where can I find the drivers, I would greatly appreciate them. I have tried all of the other drivers even the leaked 5.08

I have a diamond V770 and that wouldn't run Q3 proper with the diamond drivers, when I used the nvidia drivers, aal was working well.

Jeffy79 Guest
    I know one way to rule out the vid card, take the video card and go to another system. if it does not flicker then you know its something else. Like the board. If it does flicker the card is ****ty.

Jeff

------------------
    "Thats my story and im stickin to it!"

www.weatherdiagnostics.com <-click there

I have the latest creative drivers (3.68) and I have tried all of the latest drivers (even 5.08) and I haven't tried out the card on other computers. But i found that if I disabled GL extensions on Q3 it would go with out flickering. But that was too slow. So I tried out my motherboard chipset's latest drivers (VIA MVP3) and it reduced the flickering a little, but I think its a conflict with my motherboard drivers and the OPENGL driver for the CL TNT2 Ultra

Thread Information