Is voodoo5 going to be good?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Is voodoo5 going to be good?

Hybrid View

Is voodoo5 going to be good?

I was going to buy voodoo5000 but i don't know if it will be good. I have a 466 celeron and 64mb ram. Also, do you have any idea when the v5 is supposed to come out? Thanks.

I guess were all waiting for the V5 to come out, and to see how it performs...

Well at least, I do!
    -------------------------
    SPECS:
    PIII-700E
    ASUS CUV4X
    Voodoo3 3000AGP
    128 megz
    AWE64 sounblaster
    Pioneer 106S DVD-ROM

3Dfx is a company that I trust to death without even thinking about it. The only other companies I trust that well are Seagate and Plextor...

I think the Voodoo4 and 5 are going to be so damn good that they will, once again, be uncontested. I'd wait for their card to come out and get it as fast as you possibly can.

Good Luck!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Yeah, their cards will be good. I woulda bought one but I couldn't wait any longer, so I purchased an NVidia. 3Dfx is the Goliath of videocards. they'll do very well with them. I'm sure if you're going to purchase stock you might want to buy it now sisnce it's so low. I said the same thing aobut NVidia about 5 months ago, and I was right. Now as far as long term goes, I don't think they'll ever be as big as they were. The only way 3dfx will survive with these next new cards is if they actually WORK with other companies again. if you notice they made Glide open source, but have you seen a company YET which has jumped on it and written any new drivers for it??? nope, because they've moved to bigger ICD's like DirectX, which by the way, directX8 is going to be killer!

------------------
    System:
    Celeron 366 @ 458
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    20" NEC Multisync Monitor
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

I always liked 3DFX and I think V5 is going to be a extremely good card, BUT I think nVidia has the technology advance over 3DFX. And by the time that V5 is going to release and be available to mainstream, nVidia is going to present the next generation of their chips, maybe GeForce II, which it might be faster than V5.
    I think nVidia is expanding its products into different seqments, something that 3dFX is unable to do due the limited resources.
    Anyway, we have to wait...

3DFX and NVidia are both good companies. NVidia pushes out new idea fast right now and has a bit of an advantage with the time between 3dfx releases. The Voodoo4/5 will be a big jump for them though. The Voodoo4 and NV11 will be about the same and will push out the TNT2 and Voodoo3 (or drop their prices even farther). With the two being similar, prices shoul;d be good. They both are looking at a $150-180 range but should drop very fast to the $125 range. If the Voodoo3 and TNT2 are still out there, they should run between $50-100.

The Voodoo5 5500 and NV15 will be very similar in speed and performance. The NV15 has a few feature that the Voodoo5 does not and might have a little advantage on slower machines with the T&L. The Voodoo5 is a more optimized core for pure speed and will probably be faster in most applications and will be more compatible with more systems (and also have PCI versions). The compitition in this range should be good also. Prices should be about $300 or the Voodoo5 and $400 for the DDR NV15. Expect price to drop uickly by as much as 30% shortly after release.

The Voodoo5 6000 will be the fastest and will probably stay above $500 for a while.

The Voodoo4/5 are still slated for late April. Expect the Voodoo4 and Voodoo5 5500 to be clocked at 166-183Mhz and the Voodoo5 6000 to be at 200Mhz (since these will be only about 5% of their chips they can be picky).

I'm waiting untill I see real reviews for the Voodoo5 and NV15 befor I buy. Speculation and romour are flying over these two.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information