Why more memory ????????
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Why more memory ????????

Hybrid View

Why more memory ????????

My query is this:

TNT2 ofter 32Megs of memory... other than stupidly high resolutions, what is achieved by this.... other than 16meg more memory (than Voodoo's....other than up and comming voodoo's) there specs are inferior to Voodoo chipsets.... smaller bandwidth...less pixel power/fill rates etc.... So why a TNT2 at all??

In my opinion UT runs smoother on an AMD K6-2 300 with a generic V2 12 meg than it does on a AMD K6-2 450 TNT2... (not to mention the precaching load times)....

and yes I know that UT is written heavily towards OpenGL...

Hell I own a TNT2 ..... but as I look for my next video card upgrade I'm faced with too many models of nvidia or 3dfx based cards.... all boasting to be awesome

If nobody can give me a good benefit of the extra memory on a TNT2 based card then Voodoo's are superior (spec wise)....

oh and if memory does make a good difference..well the next gen of voodoo's promises ample memory.... (so then will they rule????

WHO CAN SAY

(what a rant!!!...buy the time you make up your mind there is a new wondercard out there)

TNT2s need 32 MB of video memory since it has the ability to render in 32-bit color depth which the Voodoo 3 does not....The Voodoo 3 can only render up to 16-bit color so it does not need more than 16 MB. The higher the resolution and color depth, the more video memory the card needs.

Dude, go into advanced setting within UT and turn off PreCaching. You don't need it. Also ensure that you're running in DirectX mode.
    I think it looks a hell of alot better than a voodoo does (I used to have a V3) and it's almost as fast. But wait till NVidia sets up S3TC within it's new set of drivers, than things'll look alot cooler. But unfortunatly it'll only be available for the GeForce cards, since they support S3TC.

------------------
    System:
    Celeron 366 @ 458
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce SDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    20" NEC Multisync Monitor
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

Thanx....I was unaware of an option to kill precaching.... And I have played UT on V2 and TNT2 and I've not really noticed (or looked hard enough) visual difference....

I looked at the v4/5 specs...and my god they are more powerful than some peoples PCs

As for your 20"..... I'm inpressed with 17" but you'd run at damn high resolutions no doubt..... ahhhh to have lots of money...

Anywayz thanx for the reply

Originally posted by SexyMF:

As for your 20"..... I'm inpressed with 17" but you'd run at damn high resolutions no doubt..... ahhhh to have lots of money...

Anywayz thanx for the reply
    You know what the funny thins is...My wife bought this for me for a WHOPPING $100.00.
    This one guy tried to sell me a bad SCSI drive, so he couldn't pay me back, so he gave me his monitor.
    "Godfather, I'm sorry I disrespected you. Please take this offering and forgive my insolence."
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

Thread Information