Hell-in-Wonder 128 from ATI
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hell-in-Wonder 128 from ATI

Hell-in-Wonder 128 from ATI

Last WE I installed my new PC, and it was pretty much a nightmare because of that brilliant piece of crap : the ATI All-in-Wonder 128
    The tough thing was that, as you may know from your experience, when you setup a new system, you normally don't know much about stability from the various components taken independantly from each other.. And for me tracking down the problems to the hell-in-wonder 128 took easily 40 reboots.
    The problem with my ATI card is that whenever it's installed, either the PC will not boot at all, or when it does boot it will freeze every 3 minutes. A real freeze, you know, not a nice recoverable crash.

Of course I had recent drivers and everything, but still it sucked.
    As I had heard bad things about my mobo (P3B-F), so it was to me the suspect nb.1.
    Then I ended up putting back my 5-years old PCI S3-based card, and it works wonders since !!

Another awfully bad thing with the hell-in-wonder is that when I tried to remove its drivers from the 'remove programs' window in control panel, it simply would crash run32.dll at every try. That's when the ATI card isn't installed. Because if I tried that procedure when it was installed, the system would freeze just by opening the uninstall control panel !
    Also the installation puts files everywhere, messes up your system and the toolbar is ugly.

Here is my core config : Aopen PSU [ P3B-F / P3-550/512k / 128Mo PC100 / Fujitsu 17Go UATA33 ]
    Peripherals : Zip SCSI / DC390 SCSI / Samplecell2 / Fireball ext HD SCSI / CDRW Yam6416 S / CreativeCDP 6x / Opcode PC Midicard / SEK'D Prodif+

Of course it's tricky anyway with so many peripheral to avoid conflicts at all.. but the P3B-F handles that well !! Good point for ASUS. Also the features/BIOS/utilities are great ! Overcloking was such a breeze.
    But those crashed happened before the peripherals' installation & overclocking.

I hope this post will enlighten the potential ATI customers to come..
    Once again I made a bad "feature-based purchase" instead of a wise "feedback-based purchase".. too bad. Or maybe in 6 months when it's obsolete, the driver will fix those errors ?

Any suggestion very welcome !

------------------

Well I've already bought it yesterday, AIW128AGP. I figured out I had to download updated AGP drivers, but now it hangs every time I click the Television icon. I have the same problem in Netmeeting. I hope I can get this working after spending so much money for this thing! If you know how to fix this problem, email me at davexa@aol.com.

Thanks,
    Dave

Also, everything that happened to you happened to me. So I dunno how far along you are, but most of the initial problems stemmed from not having the proper AGP driver installed. After that it worked somewhat, but like I said, it's still hanging, heh. Oh well.
    Dave

Hi!!
    As bad as it sounds... thank goodness I'm not the only one!! I thought I was crazy. For a while I was having problems with the ATI 128, and I do, but very rarely now. I was having this problem occasionaly when I first installed it. It would freeze once or twice a day. I thought I was having a heat problem with my CPU (I still run Rain 2.0). Then I moved the NIC card away from the AGP card, and it helped a little (max of once a day). Then, when the newest drivers came out (last month I think) it nosedived! I couldn't go more than 10 minutes without freezing! I was livid. I completely removed all references to ATI in my registry, and completely reinstalled the drivers from the CD. Now, I'm barely getting a freeze at all (maybe once a week). So, what I was thinking, is that you're supposed to enter safe mode before upgrading the drivers (I had to install the card as "Standard VGA" During the initial setup... I haven't gotten calm enough to TRY it yet, but that's my theory... :-)
    Michael

------------------
    People think I'm evil. I'm not. I have the heart of a small boy, in a jar, on my desk. -Stephen King
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Well, I hope I don't have to wait that long, my computer is feezing every single time I try to open the Television media on my Launching Pad. The others launch fine, but I haven't even been able to open the TV section yet. I've done everything. Formatted the hard drive, loaded the most recent drivers for everthing driven(heh), called ATI tech support(an hour and a half!),I'm even thinking about changing mobos! I hate to think I can't get a $250 card to work! This is uncool. All I really wanted was vid conferencing, but I thought the extra features would be nice down the road. I don't know what else to do. I'd be willing to pay someone to get it to work, but then who pays on the web?

See ya folks.
    Dave

Thread Information