TNT2 M64
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT2 M64

TNT2 M64

Hello, does anyone know about this board? I saw one running on a Celery 500@563 last week at work, it made my Voodoo3 1000 look like dad's old Mystic MGA 4meg. Does anyone know how well the TNT2 M64 runs with the
    K6-III chip? I know the old TNT's had problems with their 3DNOW instructions, has NVidia sorted this out now?

------------------
    Out of Cheese
    Divide By Cucumber Error
    Please Re-Install Universe and Re-Boot
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

Come on people, talk to me, someone must have heard of this thing!!

------------------
    Out of Cheese
    Divide By Cucumber Error
    Please Re-Install Universe and Re-Boot

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

That depends only on your motherboard - does it have an aladin chipset ? then forget it, it does not work well, cause aladin IS not realy compatible with TNT2 cards

If I onderstand right you said that TNT2 M64 runs mutch better then Voodoo 3 2000.

If that is what you said you are so wrong and there somethig very wrong with sys that have V3 card.

I tested M64 on Aladin chipset and K6-2 450@518 and V3 was preforming 20% better, and there is no compatibility problems with K6-x MBs and Nvidia based graphic cous you can select PCI compatibility mode and that solves AGP problems that we had with TNT1.

TNT2 M64 is not something that we can consider as serious gaming card, is very good but not for gammers.

Have you turned on the second texture unit. The Velocity 100 was made as a budget version of the Voodoo3 2000. The reduction of memory effected the performance very little so they crippled it some more. With the second texture unit off, games like Quake2/3 will suck really bad. The performance differance is pretty bad. This is only in Glide and OpenGL. Diect3D still uses both texture units.

Run:
    REGEDIT.EXE

Goto:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0000\Glide

Add:
    FX_GLIDE_NUM_TMU

set it to 2.

This should help performance a bit. Also, from Anandtech.com:

"While the Voodoo3 drivers would not work directly on the Velocity, all the filenames were the same. To modify the Voodoo3 drivers to work on the Velocity, we simply had to use the Velocity’s .inf file with the Voodoo3 drivers."

This is kind of important since the Voodoo3 has had about five driver updates in the past three months (some major ones) and the Velocity is still using the same old drivers (the ones that added the smoother video option to get rid of the "screen door" effect for the Voodoo3). The newest drivers might never make it to the Velocity 100, so if you run into problems with some games, expect no driver updates to fix the problem.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Well it looked quicker to me, musst be more difference between a K6-III and a Celery than I thought. My baby's a TMC AI5VG+ with VIA MVP3 chipset, I've never experianced any AGP problems so I think that's OK on this board. Miha is is possible your findings are related to the fact you used an Aladin chipped board?
    Todd a, for the sake of solving this arguement I will check my registry (also in case I'm wrong I want that extra speed) but I'm pretty damn sure both texture units are allready functioning. Also I havn't used any driver updates so I'll check out the 3DFX site. Cheers guys, you may have just saved me £100

------------------
    Look out!!
    My train of thought is a runaway!!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

I must say I was thinking on real V3 and I have never tested V3 1000 so you can ignore my results that say V3 is better then TNT2 M64. I have no knowlege on V3 1000 and way that card preforms.

But real V3 is even faster then real TNT2, not even mentioning M64 and problem on M64 is internal bus arhitecture that is only 64 bit and on real TNT2 is 128bit so performance M64 is very bad on res higher then 800x600x16 and in 32 colour is real nightmare, but on standard res 640x480 no diference. M64 is fast as real TNT2.

Todd a was right she's a Velocity in disguise, well the second TMU is on now and she blows that TNT2 out of the water with only a quater of the RAM, so I'm sticking Voodoo until I can aford something REALLY fast, maybe a Voodoo5.......

------------------
    Look out!!
    My train of thought is a runaway!!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Thread Information