ATI Rage Fury
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ATI Rage Fury

ATI Rage Fury

I have a 400 mhx AMD-K6 w/3D chip on a ASUS P7 A-B motherboard, 128 megs of SDRAM, ATI Rage 128 Fury AGP video card,ViewSonic V90 monitor. Windows 98, second edition.

I have downloaded the most recent drivers for all my hardware and even updated all of my software.

My question is this... why am I only able to get a refresh rate of 60? Before I got the ATI, I use to be able to adjust my settings within the control panel... Now, the only choices I have are Adapter Default or Optimal... which, doesn't change anything!

Whatever!

i just built a system with the FURY in it and just set the fresh rate to optimal, it looked flicker free.
    are you actually going into display properties, settings, advanced, adapter (tab) and seeing what options you have there?
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

Right click on the screen,
    select Properties,
    select settings,
    select advanced,
    then select adapter.This will give you the option to change your refresh rates.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help...

Dr. Z... With a 60 refresh rate... my monitor flickers big time... I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I have a 19" monitor?

Jonah... That is how I was attempting to adjust my refresh rate... The only options I had were Adapter Default and Optimal.

At any rate... I got real frustrated with the ATI and bought a Diamond Stealth III S540... it's running fine with a refresh rate of 85... flicker free.
    Whatever!

they are about equal cards except you don't get TV out with the stealth but you can buy a diamond one.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

I have an ATI Xpert 98 video card. To get a higher refresh rate, I found another driver on the floppy that gives you other resolutions, etc. Your documentation, or on-line Help docs should tell you of this. Use Win Explorer or My Computer to look at your floppy, or cd for other drivers if docs don't tell you.

Well, I have done a 180... I have given up on AGP graphics cards all together... The Stealth wouldn't let me shut down or reboot my system... I bought a Creative 3D Blaster... PCI... Savage 4... or something like that...

AGP isn't at all what it's cracked up to be... I was more interested in the sharpest picture I could obtain than the ability to play games... Let's just say the games I play don't require a high end video card.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Whatever!

Thread Information