Voodoo 5 Demonstrated - Page 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voodoo 5 Demonstrated

The " go-figure" part you refer to in reference to the poor performance with a Ge-Force on NFS4 has to do with the API used and not the card.

Direct 3d (what the ge-force uses) is only an experimental add on from EA.

The 3dfx cards use Glide which has full support by EA and was what the game was designed to run under.

It is a little unfair to say that a card is poor because it fails to do well in an "Experimental Game " is it ?

Try quake 3, it uses OpenGL. The ge-force only supports OpenGl and Direct 3d but does so much better than 3dfx.

A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Don't hold your breath kids. 3Dfx says they will begin PRODUCTION on the FIRST VSA-100 products in April. It is an important distinction from having a full line of products AVAILABLE on shelves.

"We believe we are still on track for April production for the first VSA-100 products..."

Anyway... The NV11 and NV15 release should be right on the heels of the Voodoo 4/5. Nvidia has been keeping pretty quiet, but the rumor is Spring. (Spring refresh i.e. TNT2, Fall new chip i.e. NV20)
    Once again, there is no reason to compare the Voodoo 5 to the current Geforce cards. 3Dfx sat out an entire round while the Geforce, Fury MAXX, and Viper 2 were produced. The Geforce is not going to compete with the Voodoo 5. It will compete against the Voodoo 4 most likely.

Anyone else see a massive parallelism between the 3Dfx/Nvidia and Intel/AMD thing? At least in their marketing techniques under pressure.

------------------
    BP6, C-366/550 (x2 very soon), 192meg
    CL TNT2U 180/230
    BP6, P3-700@770 (for now), 320mb, eVGA MX Plus (dual CRT), waiting for VIVO module

I said that a few months ago too .When it seemed like the AMD fans were jumping on nVidia.

It was all a figment of my imaginaton though... Truly it was.

------------------
    I am changing my name to Num-Chuck ...
    http://www.overclockers.com.au
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Regarding the NFS4 and it being an "Experimental Game". What does that mean? Direct3D has been around for quite a while now but your saying that it is still an experiment? or still sucks compared to glide?

Or what, the developers, in this case EA, don't know how to program? If Direct3D is so bad, why didn't they program it in OpenGL instead? Did they release the game too soon? Why isn't there a patch to make it acceptable on the Geforce?

I have had so many games that I have played on both the Geforce and a voodoo3000 with the voodoo never having any problems whatsoever and the Geforce glitching out in every possible way.

My point is that the 3dfx cards usually run today's software very well while Nvidia's chips never work at all and I have to spend all my time tweaking the stupid thing or looking into patches, Vsync, AGP arpeture, Detonators, Unified, more drivers, and more buggy drivers. What a waste. I have to admit that when I installed my Geforce DDR, it toasted my 3000 while playing Soldier of Fortune demo (best demo out as of yet), but yes, the Geforce was faster, but with glitches. Yep, glitches that the voodoo3000 did not have.

I think the G in Geforce should stand for Glitches. From now on it's the Glitch-force Pro.

Thread Information