Voodoo 5 Demonstrated
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo 5 Demonstrated

Voodoo 5 Demonstrated

I just read at VoodooExtreme that 3dfx has given a demo of the V5 at the MacWorld show in Tokyo and, yes, it was running in a Mac. Apparently they were going to show it at the IDF but that plan was cancelled. The will also show it in early March at the Game Developer's Conference. This means that they have real, live, working silicon !

------------------
    If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress ?

That is good, I may then get a PCI version to test.

Do you guys think the PCI version will be "JUST" slightly slower than the AGP one??

It will probably be FASTER, as yet another joke product from suckDFX!

/Geforce DDR owner

3dfx is also showing voodoo4/5 at CeBit in Germany, this week.
    I'm going there for the weekend so i hope I'll get to see some demo of how the performance will be.

dark when you get back reply to this and say how it was and if it worth getting
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

I'd rather wait for a real review. These cards are Alpha silicon with alpha drivers. The performance and image uality should be much higher when they release the Beta cards and drivers to review sites (both Voodoo4 and Voodoo5 preferably). Then I will make my final desision. I hope review samples will be avaluable for the NV-15 also. One of these two cards will be my next card. I'm leaning towards the Voodoo5 5500. I am extremely happy with my Voodoo3 2000 so far.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

I'm hoping the V5 6000 gets good reviews, as I've been less than convinced by the Geforce DDR. It has some good points but the drivers still need much more work and there are still games it won't work with.

I also miss glide. my first venture into the Nivida word is not a very happy one.

BladeRunner

I'm going with BladeRunner on this, I too will be looking very closely at the V5 6000 to see how it fares in benchmarks compared to the GeForceDDR. If it beats it slightly then I'll wait for the NV15. If it totally destorys it (which it should, if their theory becomes reality) I'll smack my cash down!

[This message has been edited by LaoChe (edited 02-25-2000).]

No one will answer this question. The cards use multple processors..ie sli. Can you put two of the pci versions in a system, and would you want to????
    Take your insanity somewhere else...we are all stocked up here.

The first day of deminstrations were mixed. They had 2 Voodoo5 5000 PCI cards running in a PC and a MAC. They ran side-by-side with a GeForce 256. They said the GeForce was running 32bit and the Voodoo5 was running 16 bit (the drivers kept crashing under 32bit). Comments were the color was better on the GeForce (being 32bit vs 16bit explanes this), but the FSAA was VERY impressive. They also got their motion blur Quake3 running on the Voodoo5 (instead of the 8 Voodoo2 NT box).

One thing that was interesting was that they commented that the GeForce had a little better colos, but that it did not look to be running faster. This was a Voodoo5 5000 PCI card running Mode4 FSAA. To top this all off, they were running alpha drivers on alph cards with alpha silicon (that was only running at 100Mhz). his card should be VERY impressive.

I WANT MY VOODOO5 5500 64MB AGP CARD NOW!!!!!!
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

There was a memo about the low clock speeds and disabled features at CeBit yesterrday:

...we are demonstrating our very first silicon spin for VSA-100, what we call internally our "A0" spin. Due to some silicon processing problems, the A0 spin has been reduced to fairly low operating frequencies, in addition to suffering some video ramdac problems. As a result, we opted not to show the VSA-100 in public at CeBit and showed it only to select members of the press and media. But some of the recent negative feedback on the net, in particular the disappointment on the frequency being run and the video quality issues, are known issues and are expected from the silicon processing problem inherent in A0. Now on to the good news. First and foremost, the processing problem is completely understood and has already been addressed. In fact, production wafers are now flowing through the fab for our final production version of VSA-100, which we believe will be the A1 silicon spin. In addition, from a functionality point of view, we are very happy with A0. The part is extremely functional and robust, with only a few minor bugs which will be fixed in the A1 silicon spin. All of the major new functionality is working perfectly, including 32-bit color rendering, texture compression, full-scene anti-aliasing, T-buffer capabilities, as well as all the multi-chip SLI and FSAA capabilities. As a result, software development has been able to go full speed and thus we expect software to be very robust for shipping product. We believe we are still on track for April production for the first VSA-100 products. While the nature of the processing problem with A0 is disappointing in that it makes early demonstrations less than spectacular, we feel very good about the health of the A1 product and as a result silicon production has begun...

This is VERY encoraging news. If this run is good, then full production will ramp up. Refrance boards and full card production will follow with production drivers. The refrance boards and eta drivers should surface within a month (hopefully). I want to see how this thing realy runs!!!

They are still sticking to the minimum 166Mhz core/memory speeds. With the resent drop in memory prices, the prices might be a little bit moe competitive. Also the chip size is still relitively small (even at .25 micron) and yeilds should be very high (driving the price of the chips down). Maybe the Voodoo5 5500 will hit the $200 mark. We can all hope. (of coarse a $400 Voodoo5 6000 whould be nice too.)

Why compare a Ge-Force to it ? The Ge-Force has been out for months as promised and 3dfx are a season behind. I like the FSAA but thats it, i dont really care about the T Buffer stuff, as long as it performs much much better than a Ge-Force i will buy one.

------------------
    I am changing my name to Num-Chuck ...
    http://www.overclockers.com.au
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Yeah, I'm cossing my fingers on the speed. You never know till you see the benchmarks and reveiws. Just look at the Cyrix III ... new FPU and 256K intigrated L2 cache, but still way below par for performance after alls said and done.

I think the Cinimatic features will be nice when used correctly (same with T&L), but the image quality and SPEED are the most important. I did find out the demo they ran was only at 640x480, but they have also stated befor that the effect from FSAA is hard to notice beyond 1024x768, so I think the wanted the biggest imact for FSAA and were not showing off the speed with Alph drivers and Alph silicon (only running at 100Mhz instead of 166+Mhz).

I think this thing can realy fly. The Voodoo3 performs pretty good for so-so specs and the VSA-100 is supposed to be about 20-30% faster clock for clock with one chip and SLI is a technology they know how to do. I think it will perform good. Will the Voodoo5 5500 beat the NV-15, who knows. I want something realy fast. Of coarse I like my Voodoo3 2000 so I tend to lean towards the Voodoo4/5.

Just dont close your options off by sticking to whats been best for you.

I am kinda more interrested in the CPU and RAM side of things at the moment but it all equals $$$$$.

------------------
    I am changing my name to Num-Chuck ...
    http://www.overclockers.com.au
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

In the past year or so, I have owned A voodoo3 3000, TNT, TNT2, Geforce SDR, and I am currently testing a Geforce DDR.

Everytime I am testing out an Nvidia product, I always run into more problems than when I test out a 3dfx product so I am kinda anticipating the release of the Voodoo5500, however, I don't know what to think about the so-called Voodoo-Volt. Is it a result of poor R&D efforts, or is there no other alternative?

I just wish our answers to our graphics problems could be solved easier. For instance, right now, I get faster framerates in Need For Speed 4 and BoarderZone with my Voodoo3000 than on my Geforce DDR. Go figure.

I must not be teaking something right on the Geforce, but you know what? I shouldn't have to. I already tweak my system, and my OS, sometimes a video card here and there if I feel like overclocking, but with Nvidia, it seems like you then also have to tweak every single game you play with it. That to me is a joke. I really wish a new company would come along and blow both companies away with a stellar product but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Too bad Glaze3d has been only hype so far.

Thread Information