Athlon and TNT2 Problems - Please advise
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Athlon and TNT2 Problems - Please advise

Athlon and TNT2 Problems - Please advise

Since I've built this system it has run real smooth, with one exception - video performance, especially with DirectX. Animations are beautifully rendered but real choppy and even gameplay is affected in certain games. It was a fresh install of Win98 SE and I have tried all of the various drivers out there - Detonator 2.08 to 3.76 Beta; all the Creative Labs versions; CL Unified driver. Nothin has improved the performance. The system is an Athlon 650, Gigabyte 7IX with latest BIOS, 160MB PC100 RAM, Creative Labs TNT2 Card. Any ideas or suggestions?

What is your AGP aperture set at? I think it should be 64MB for your system. Also check under your display properties for options to enable certain features on you video card. Good luck.
    "We're going to get another one next year, again -- back to back to back."

-Kobe Bryant

I've tried the Aperture at everything from 32-128; currently have it set at 64MB. Also fiddled with all the different display options - esp the Direct3D ones, aiming for top performance over detail just to see if I could get the smoothness that I know this systems should be capable of but to no avail. (And it's just not right to see my rooommate's Celeron 433 with a 4MB Trident AGP card and 8MB Voodoo2 accelerator running smoother than my Athlon!)

What type of PSU and sdram do you have?

The power supply is a 300W one that came with my Inwin Q500 case - will have to check on the maker. As for the RAM I need to doublecheck the makers - but if memory servers correct there is one Toshiba chip and one Samsung chip, both CAS2 7nanosecond PC100 RAM.

Well it should deffinatley be fast enough, but different brands could be a problem. I had similar troubles until I replaced my 3 different brands of pc100 (2x32, 1x64) with 2x64mb micron pc133 ecc, then they all went away. It might be worth trying it with just one stick in.

Tried it with just the one 128MB PC100 CAS2 Stick; same problems. It's odd - rendering seems fine, textures are beautiful - but the system stutters during movement. ie the opening to Unreal Tournament(the benchmark I've been using) is real choppy whenever the camera picks up speed, turns corners, etc.

Thread Information