Stealth S540 is good?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Stealth S540 is good?

Stealth S540 is good?

Hi! Can anyone tell me if this board itīs a good idea to subtitute my old config: Trident 9750 4Mb AGP + Voodoo II 8Mb?
    This board is cheap if compared with viper 770 and others, but it is a good idea to who likes to use some 3D games like NFS3, USAF, WWII Fighters?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Ricardo

Some good advice is not to buy that card. The texture errors gave me headaches. I bought a Voodoo3 and I am very happy. If you look around, you can find one under 80 bucks. Its also very tweakable.

------------------
    "What do I need a cooler for? My cpu is only at 51 degrees!"
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

EpoX 8RDA+
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.2ghz)
    1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
    Visontek GeForce 4 Ti4200
    WD LE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
    Sony 48x24x48x IDE CDRW
    Soundblaster Live! Audigy
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo

I got the card at compuplus.com for 67.00, with 32 mb, and with BiPolars drivers athttp://sealcorp.org/users/bipolar/
    I am running UT so fast and smoothe, it is finally a really enjoyable game. Q3 is amazing.

No lockups. Windows is QUAKING!!!!!!

I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, for the money, and screenshots from the more expensive games show little difference. the speed is incredible.

WEll according to the stuff I've been hearing it should be pretty good now that good drivers have been made for it. It looks like a very good deal to me now and I think Im definately going to get one for one of my systems.

Bipolar eh? Maybe I'll try reinstalling my S4.

------------------
    "What do I need a cooler for? My cpu is only at 51 degrees!"
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

EpoX 8RDA+
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.2ghz)
    1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
    Visontek GeForce 4 Ti4200
    WD LE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
    Sony 48x24x48x IDE CDRW
    Soundblaster Live! Audigy
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo

so do these driver work with the metal maps of UT and Q3?

[This message has been edited by drzaius (edited 02-03-2000).]
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

If you can afford the price jump get an xtreme version... a little quicker, and just as stable. The Viper II is similar too... but MUCH more expensive, and not worth it in my eyes.

A savage 4 is more than enough if you don't need to run 1024x768, or high end business apps like autocad or 3dstudio.

PS keep the voodoo II with it... you'll have glide as well as everything the s4 does

------------------
    two things are for sure in life: taxes and death
    Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire

Thanks guys! Iīm really confused about to change my video cards. My actual system(K6-2/450)seems doesnīt like video chipsets like TNT, TNT2, etc... and some guys told me that the best choice will be a Voodoo 3/3000.
    What do you think about it?

Any help will be appreciate.

Hugs

if you can spend the little bit extra i see nothing wrong with V3 3000.
    people that drive slow are easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that provide a challange.

I appreciate the opinions here. My system:
    K62 450, FIC mb VA503A 2x agp, 128mb sdram, all 100mz, ata Maxtor 66 mb transfer, with 2 mb buffer.

Rest assured BiPolars drivers have made a world of difference. You need to format and restore, partition with the MANUFACTURER'S UTILITY,NOT THE WIN 98 DISK, you lose 500 mb of disk space.

IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED MORE THAN A FEW GAMES, AND ESPECIALLY DIFFERENT VID DRIVERS, FORMAT, and copy win98 to a partition, and it installs in 4 minutes.

you bet, there are better cards. get this one cheap,and wait for the next generation out in about 9-12 months. save your money. just wish i had the 540 that is the next one up.

make sure you have at least 128 mb of physical ram. night and day even with 32mb 540

Tnx again guys!
    Here, in Brazil, everything related with computers are expensive if compared with USA, for example: the Voodoo3/3000 price here is about US$ 170,00 and the SIII 540 is US$ 125,00.
    I almost decided to buy the V3 but the difference in money shakes me well.
    To help, here a little description of my actual system:
    Processor: K6/2-400 oīclocked to 450(100x4.5)
    Memory: 64Mb Sdram PC100(I have more 32Mb Sdram PC100 but my MoBo donīt work with all 03 modules and I do not know why).
    MoBo: PCCHIPS M577 MVP3 Chipset.
    Sound Card: Blaster Live 512
    Modem: Zoltrix 56K voice
    Drives: 8.4 Gb Fujitsu UDMA 33, DVD Creative 5X, Panasonic 8x4 CD-R.
    These are the specs of my system and the old video cards I post at the beginning of this thread.
    Tnx for any help to illuminate my doubt.

Hugs

Ricardo

if your into overclocking then get the V3 2000 143mhz core 143 memory and put it up to the V3 3000 166mhz core 166mhz memory (or higher) you just need a fan. This card does a good job especially with glide games.

Thread Information