Survey on CL DDR GeForce and FSB.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey on CL DDR GeForce and FSB.

Hybrid View

Survey on CL DDR GeForce and FSB.

Hi, I would like to compile a survey about the CL DDR GeForce and FSB and AGP bus. My CL DDR can run at 100 Mhz AGP bus but I also saw some people that couldn't get past FSB 120 MHz. I just want to know if it is a AGP bus issue or is it a motherboard issue (trying to access RAM for AGP apature at FSB > 124 Mhz). Thanks.

The Geforce appears to be stopping me at the moment as I can't get above 820mhz (7x117).

The card would probably run a 118 but my PCI equipment is having no more of 40Mhz bus.

I can get the system to boot up with a V3 2000 a 898mhz (7x128) but not with the Geforce.

I had heard that the 4x AGP mobos have twice the ampage available for the AGP port so it could be that. It always crashes on putting up the desktop wallpaper. I'm running with 3.6 IO voltage for Geforce stability.

I'd buy a new 1/2 AGP mobo if there was a good one but the Via chipset mobos appear to have more problems than the later BX boards with this new graphics card.

BladeRunner

Hi!!

I am puting this to the top so that people can help to clarify how some of you can get pass 75mhz AGP but mine only at best 73mhz AGP.....

NiteOwl, what mobo did you use??

So what seems to be the sticking point (estimated) for the AGP bus that a CL GeForce DDR can handle? 80-85MHz usually?

I have a CL Annihilator Pro DDR GeForce sitting on an ABit BF6, presently with a 300a @ 492MHz stock cooling. I'm going to get a 600 or 650 C-Mine after another price drop or two, so this is something I'd like to know as well is how much will the GeForce take?

I won't settle for less than 750MHz, and I'd like to get 800MHz... of course more is always better. What will give out first...

Maybe I should wait for the Solano 2....

My 300@495 is serving me well at the moment, but you know that our ego is not so easily filled up. So let me have some clue to it.......

Sorry I took so long to reply, but I thought this thread was ten feet under two weeks ago. My FSB is at 140 MHz. That means my AGP bus is at 93.3 MHz. I am currently using the Asus P3BF. This also worked on the Abit BF6 (after tweaking the RAM settings, but with the newest BIOS settings this isn't necessary). In reply to my first post (from weeks ago), the problem was due to Abit tweaking the RAM settings so that it was difficult for AGP stuff to access the system's RAM for AGP apature (but the newest BIOS resolved this issue). I have seen others ran the CL DDR with FSB @ 115+ MHz with a 1 AGP divider. Does this answer your question (in relation to Cumine o/c'ing)? But I suspect part of the reason as to why the CL DDR can handle such high AGP bus speed might be due to the fact that with all current Intel chipset, AGP sidebanding has been disabled.

ESTEAN
    what mobo you running (and chipset)?

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 02-05-2000).]

Bladerunner was running the BF6 too, and since his first post he has been able to go upto around 130 Mhz FSB (so that's around 86 MHz AGP bus) by tweaking the BIOS in the same manner (this was about two weeks before the BIOS update was out). I think at this moment, it's his CPU that's holding him back. His CL DDR should be able to handle more.

baloneyflaps
    If you are gonna stay with the BF6, you then have to set SDRAM leadoff to 4 (instead of default of 3) when your FSB gets around 118 MHz or higher. Or the other option is to update to the newest BIOS (jq or qj ...) which seem to do this automatically (cuz the option to change SDRAM leadoff is gone). I think Abit came across my solution for this problem and issued the new BIOS based on it. Lots of others at other sites had the same problem and I posted my suggestion and I also received alot of positive replies there.

My DDR is stable at 75fsb, 83-100fsb and from 103-133fsb. I havent had any CPU to be able to go higher than 133fsb.

I guess it makes up for the ****ty o/c ability of the card (145/355)

------------------
    http://www.overclockers.com.au
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Thanks, NiteOwl!!

I am now using the BH6 Rev 1.1.

My C300A can do a 117mhz FSB at default volt.

But I can only get to 110mhz FSB at best...
    Can give some ideas on how to tweak it to go 117mhz??

Thanks!!

ETSEAN
    hmmm ... hard to say. Firstly, sorry, but I have to ask this. Are you sure your AGP is divider is set to 2/3? Secondly try to run your FSB at 78 MHz (or slightly higher) and set your AGP divider to 1. If it works, then when your FSB is @ 117, your AGP divider is set to 2/3, and your GeForce doesn't work, then it is not due to your AGP bus. I would pull everything out and only leave your vid card, RAM, CPU, HD and CDROM and see if that works and just think of anyways you can to isolate your problem. If you also have an option to change the SDRAM leadoff to 4, also give that a try (I dunno if this applies to you, as I was only seen this problem with the BF6 and the Be6 v.2).

Hi!!

Thanks for your reply!!

Seems like my C300A does not like to go to anything above 110mhz FSB with the Geforce.
    I tried it with the G400 and it did made it to the 117mhz mark before I fried it(G400).

Never mind, but one thing is sure, my AGP bus at 110mhz works very well on my Geforce DDR with 256MB AGP. So I think is that either the CPU cannot go higher than 110mhz FSB now or it is something to do with the video card and mobo combo conflict, which I think the first is more likely(strange don't you think so).

Heehee, 110mhz AGP is slightly slower than using a 2/3 divider, 57fps compared to 60fps.

Well, I am more than happy now until I get my hands on those KX133/Solano 2 boards.

All the best to you o/cers!!!

the KX133 and Athlon lookes like a yummie combo, almost makes me want to give up going after 1 GHz with o/c'ed Cumine.

Well, right after KX133 will come Solano 2.

So hold on to your Cumine. But I will surely gets my hands on those KX133 boards.

Selling off my Athlon 500@650 coz cannot wait for that KX133 board to come with a CPU idling there.

Well, after a few tests it seems I've come to the conclusion that when I get my Cumine, my OC'ing probably won't be limited by my GeForce DDR, but given my components, probably by the chip itself.

I was easily able to boot my system (300A, Micron 8E Cas2 PC100, BF6, WD Caviar drives, CL Annihilator Pro) at the 83, 85, 90, and 95 MHz settings with AGP set at 1:1.

I should be able to rule out the GeForce DDR as a limiting factor then, right?

(I didn't try anything over the 95 setting, as it would be academic at best)

Thread Information