GeForce With Processor Question™
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: GeForce With Processor Question™

GeForce With Processor Question™

Someone told me that the GeForce performs the same if you use a processor in between 400 and 700 MHz. While I know it's better the have a 700 MHz chip does the GeForce really use it's own engine to do all the math?

I'm not so good at videocards and I would like to know if the GeForce is really worth giving up my Voodoo3 3000?

Wait, now everyone going to say yes! [b]I need to know the up and downs of the GeForce before I make big decisions. And yes, we're talking DDR. Asus most probably?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer™
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hi!!

My 300@495mhz runs demo 1 and 2 at 1024x768x32 bit at about 60fps. Of course I forgot that I o/c it to 125/330.....

Well, when it is 300 it drop to 43fps.

Does playing games include those Maths that you mention??

Hardop says(if I am not wrong) that Geforce is BIG on Transform and SMALL on Lighting.

Also don't know what are all these......

I wouldn't buy a GeForce for it's T&L engine, there are just not enough games with so much polygons and good hardware T&L support.

On the other hand, the Geforce blows away the Voodoo3 on image quality and hi-res 32 bit.

The GeForce DDR works good with any processor cause videocard memory bandwidth is usually the bottleneck.
    And if you're going to use it with 3d-modeling like me, it's a great card but think twice before you pay a lot of cash for it,which is probably the only down i can think of (I have a CL Annihilator Pro).

Ups:
    -Fastest card out there
    -Good with any processor(PII or better)
    -Good support for future games/hardware
    -Great image quality
    -Very nice professional performance/features
    -The look on your friends face when you play Quake3 smoothly @1280x960x32 hehe

Downs:
    -Price

That someone is right, but only for GeForce not the games.

Games while alvase preform better with faster CPUs, graphic is only one parameter of the game.

if you make the investment on geforce ddr now you'll at least be set for a year as the support will filter in with new games and design software and probably another half year, i don't think you can go wrong with this card at all plus it can be overclocked namely the hercules 3dprophet with tv out, i'm definitely thinking about this card myself in about half a year.
    or if the matrox g400 is cheaper if your thinking affordability has some of the same features namely bumpmapping.
    but geforce blows everything away according to benchmarks i've seen.
    something to think about.

plus is not as cpu dependent which means faster gameplay.
    ------------------
    HOCKEY RULES!

[This message has been edited by rangeral (edited 02-06-2000).]

Obviously T&L: will be implemented on alot of future games. 3Dfx is going to put it out on it's next card and so that's that. But I purchased a GeForce (SDR due to price, but it's still a killer card) and updated it from a V3 2k, and I am totally impressed. worth every penny. so yeah, I researched it for about 5 months before I purchased it as well, so I understand how you're being careful.

------------------
    System:
    Celeron 366 @ 458
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce SDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    20" NEC Multisync Monitor
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

I went from a V3 3000 to a Ge-Force DDR, the performance improvemnt/visual quality was much more astounding.

It has next gen games support and excellent driver updates.

------------------
    http://www.overclockers.com.au
    A Dog is a Cat with More hair

Thread Information