Savage4 PCI Video Card
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Savage4 PCI Video Card

Savage4 PCI Video Card

I have an old HP Pavilion with a 233Mhz Pentium processor, 96mb of ram and an on-board video card that I just can't get the computer to stop seeing! My system's been locking up and the only thing I haven't done is to actually disable the onboard card. I can disable it in the device driver but the system still freezes...I also tried deleting it and all its drivers, and then installing the PCI card but...again..the computer sees the onboard card.
    Creative Labs says I need to disable the card and that that's probably the cause. HP is no help...I haven't got a reply from them yet and I'm not about to spend $25.00 for phone support!

Anyway, any help or suggestions on which jumper(s) on the mother board disable the onboard card would be very much appreciated.

Cj (seajay62@yahoo.com)

Go to hp's web site and look for your specific model, then do the search for (motherboard+jumpers) enter that in the search field and see if that helps,i f not you could always try playing around with the jumpers yourself.

Well, I figured it must be a bad card or an incompatibility between the card and the motherboard (if that's possible). I finally got the machine not to see the onboard card (it wasn't the vga jumper). I just moved all the files in the c:\windows\system folder and the cabs folder off the hdd. When I rebooted the thing it initially saw the onboard card but obviously couldn't install the software for the thing so...as far as win95 was concerned, the card no longer existed. Unfortunately, my computer still froze up. Prior to this I downloaded the chip manufacturer's (S3) driver for the chip on the PCI card...thought that would work but it didn't.
    Anyway...a friend came over last night and we put a 6mb PCI card on the computer and the computer worked normally.

Looks like I'll be returning the card to the people I got it from.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good priced PCI card (around $100.00)?

Check pricewatch.com

You'll get some good prices there but be careful who you buy through

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/006705.html

75.00 from pricewatch.

Savage 4 is faster than most all out there. You will be very pleased, as I am.

Thread Information