running two video cards in Windows 98SE
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: running two video cards in Windows 98SE

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio

running two video cards in Windows 98SE

I had a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI with my 17" monitor hooked to it. I got my hands on an old 15" monitor and wanted to use both monitors in windows 98. I got my friends ATI Rage LT Pro AGP video card that he no longer used and pluged it into my AGP slot. I got the latest drivers off the net and installed them. I got this message on the 15" monitor that windows had initiallized the video card and to go to display setting to use it in windows. I rebooted and the message came back so I go to settings and the two monitor option is not there. I go to the device manager and there is a yellow exlamation point over the ATI card. It says that there is a memory conflict and to edit EMM386.exe in the config.sys to fix it. Well I did that and it did not fix it. I even went to the extreme and deleted everything from config.sys and autoexec.bat (I am going to format soon so it is not a big deal).

Does anyone know how to get this to work? I can not manually change any of the memory setting in the device manager. Please help me!

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

I spent $25 bucks on this ATI card. I hope I didn't waste my money. Please help me.
    -Goff

Check the cmos in the mobo. Seems like the board is manually assigning irq's or some such. Win98 should let it float (I think they all get 9 or 11). See which is listed as primary as well (also mobo cmos). Wi98 should just allow both cards, then in display properties give you the option to extend the desktop into the second monitor. Neat stuff
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

That is the thing. Win98 is not letting me setup two monitors. In the display settings it acts just like there is one video card hooked up. So you are saying I should change the IRQ's in the BIOS?
    -Goff

Well, check how the bios is setup - you should not have to assign them manaully, though that may be the end option. Windows should set them up automatically w/o problems.

If you have a spare drive, and some time, try plugging both cards in and installing Win98 fresh and see what happens. Worth a shot...
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

I have tried a lot of different BOIS settings such as assigning IRQ to different PCI slots and stuff like that. I have not had any luck. I have not tried a reinstall of windows 98 but I was planning on doing that soon anyways. I just don't have the time now. I did notice that the Voodoo 3 and the ATI seem to use the same IRQ (11). No matter what I try they always use the same IRQ. Is it supposed to do this? Thanks for helping Splatt.

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

Hey,

I did the same thing for a while... I had an old 14 inch and just for ****s and giggles I wanted to run 2 monitors. I have a Viper V770 TNT2 AGP card as my main video card and I tossed an an old Diamond Stealth 2000 pro 4 meg PCI card to try it out. Long story short I got it working the first time I would load windows and it would discover the card. However after that if I'd reboot it would shut off the main monitor letting me see nothing.

I did a little research and the dual monitor capability is a little picky. Go to micorsofts web page and they will list the graphic cards that are compatible with this feature. My viper was not listed, however my stealth was. Like I said I had it working, but I wouldn't recommend using it if you like to play games. I tried to run starcraft and I can't remember what happened, but it crashed or locked up having the 2 displays running. I had to disable dual monitors under display properties before I could load the game.

It sounds like your 2 cards don't want to work together... they can't both be using that IRQ.

Good Luck, but I think you'll find that the dual monitor thing isn't really all that cool.

ok you can run to displays in win98se and win98, you need to make sure the cards suport mulitable monators, then you'll be good to go. i have 2 in my 98se and 2000 comp. good luck. i have an CL tnt2, and a s3 virdge they work great.

good luck
    "Is it worth it to give your heart away, and live for a great period of joy, risking the chance to have your heart broken? If your heart does get broken, was it worth it to give it away? - Me"

Well I got it working. I got some help from the ATI web site. I went to there FAQ and they had my exact problem written out there. They told me to add a line to my system.ini file. It was something about EMM. It works great. Now I need a new monitor because the old one I have will only do 640x480 which looks quite different from my other monitor at 1024x768.

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

Thread Information