Need For Speed III and TNT2 How do I play in 32-bit?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need For Speed III and TNT2 How do I play in 32-bit?

Need For Speed III and TNT2 How do I play in 32-bit?

I have been trying to get the game to recognize my 770 Ultra as the 3D card I'm using but it won't. I've downloaded the most current stuff, and I have forced it to run in D3D, but I'm only offered 16 bit w/800x600 the highest resolution.

I've been looking all over the web for information about this, but I'm draw a blank.

I stumbled across a site one night while I was trying to get my VooDoo2 2000 to work, and it needed a special patch. Is there one somewhere for the Ultra 770's?

Answered my own question.

lol i am asking my self the sam equestion...
    Can any one please help ussssssssss???????
    Alex D

------------------
    WTF?? I am just trying to help OK!

The Real Power IS UNDER THE TOWER OF POWER
    check it out! http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/save/23/index.htm

Teh fix that I thought I found didn't work. Still looking....

As far as I know, the v3 is the only one that can play in higher resolutions. My friend has a TNT and its stuck in 800x600 16 bit, I dont believe that this is playable in 32 bit, I know the new one High Stakes is. I can play it in 1024x768 with my v3 2000, but its supposed to be able to go higher than that with the v3, but I dont know how to do it.

But as far as I know there is no patch for it and your probably stuck at 800x600. Did you download the autoupdate for it? Maybe that will fix something, cause there isnt a patch fix for the TNT's like for the V3's.

------------------
    Vidfreek: The master Wizard.
    Visit us at http://members.xoom.com/wizardofcomp

Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Some games, like NFS4, don't support 32 bit, and won't always let you go as far up the resolution scale as you;d like.

Well, I talk to Electronic Arts tech support for about twenty minutes yesterday, and they couldn't help me one bit. The guy I was talking with didn't know anything. He put me on hold, finally, to ask some one else. They told him to tell me that I wouldn't be able to get higher resolutions than 800x600 until I downloaded and installed the detonator drivers.

Well, I did, and I am now able to play in 32bit color, but the resolution is still stuck at a high of 800x600. A the game tells me that it is STILL in 16 bit color, but I can tell by the progress bar, while you're waiting in the game to load that, its in 32 bit.

When I was using a Voodoo3 2000 I was able to get higher resolutions. So I know that this is possible. I just need to find, or some one with skill needs to create, the proper drivers for this game.

For anyone thats interested, I downloaded and installed the 2.08 reference drivers from Nvidia. Installed them. Modified the shortcut to Need For Speed III with a "space" -d3d to get the game to run under D3D mode. That is how I am even able to play.

I hope this helps somebody, and if anybody finds out anything else please post...

To get up to (and probably even higher than) 1600x1200 and all Voodoo2 features without a Voodoo2 card, rename "Voodoo2a.dll" to anything for backup, and copy "D3da.dll" to "Voodoo2a.dll" in the Need For Speed III directory. The change the shortcut to NFS3 and add " -voodoo2" (without the quotes). (In order to view .dll files you must allow viewing of system files in the Folder Options dialog box) This will not allow 32-bit rendering, however because the Voodoo2 does not support it.

-John T.

Thread Information