REMOVE HEATSINK FROM CHIP?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: REMOVE HEATSINK FROM CHIP?

REMOVE HEATSINK FROM CHIP?

How do you, can you remove the heatsink from a chip without ripping it open or off the board.

That depends how the heatsink is attached. You should give more info about the videocard (I assume it is on a videocard).

[This message has been edited by Bomberman (edited 11-30-99).]

I have one, a crappy *** heatsink on a Voodoo3 2k. I've been wanting to put a heatsink and fan on this thing for a while.
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

It is a Creative TNT2.

freon Guest
    If it's attached with that crummy cement stuff, you can wedge a razor blade between the chip and heatsink and tap it in. It should pop off easily.
    If it's attached with a pair of spring loaded posts, you should be able to get those to come off no problem. I guess the safest way (assuming you know how to use a drill) would be to drill them out from the bottom. Then there is no prying, jarring, or bending of the board. Just don't miss.

When you put a new heatsink on, I suggest utilizing a method that place high pressure on the chip by the heatsink, sand both surfaces lightly (it's kind hard to really lap the video card), and use a thin layer of heatsink grease. I put a new full size Socket 7/370 heatsink on my CL TNT2 Ultra and did not reach a higher clock rate. Then I increased the pressure greatly and am able to tweak out an additional 10mhz. (my signature is out of date, I now run 185/230, no cooling on the RAM)

Your CL TNT2 also uses cement, I assume. Some TNT cards use posts. I think all Voodoo 3 cards use posts.

------------------
    BP6, P2-C 366-550 (x2 eventually), 192MB
    CL TNT2U 175/220

Thread Information