AMD and AGP
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AMD and AGP

AMD and AGP

I had a k6/2 350mhz and a stb 4400 agp. Ran into nothing but problems.. switched all the bios stuff, and the latest drivers, etc. etc. etc. Nothing but trouble. So, I went and bought a pci creative blaster TNT, and have had absolutely no trouble with it.
    Thing is, I recently went to a 450mhz amd..I would like to get the v770 Ultra agp, but considering my previous experiences I have my reservations about going this route.
    Recently, I dug out the old AGP 4400, got the newest drivers, even flashed the bios, and guess what. Still problems. (specifically, no openGL)
    My Mobo is an asus p5a. Bios 1008.

Anyone? Should I try the Ultra V770? Was it just the STB 4400 card? Was(is) it the Ali chipset?

-Gonz

If your board uses the Via MVP3 chipset, you need to download the 4in1 drivers from them. I had similar problems with my AGP card and Epox board, but the Via drivers solved most of them.
    "We're going to get another one next year, again -- back to back to back."

-Kobe Bryant

Thanks for the reply, but the Asus P5A series has the Ali Alladin V AGPset.

------------------

-Gonz

-Gonz

Just go V3... I have a k62-400 on an AOpen AX59Pro, and my V3 runs perfectly. And, if you check out the benchmarks, you'll see that V3s run much better with 3DNow than TNT chipset cards
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup."

I'd just hang on to that V3 also. I had an ATI Rage 128 and it would not work at all with my Asus board (or the board I had before that). I've heard a few times (take a grain of salt with this) that socket 7 boards don't take well to AGP because of voltage issues--I don't know; there seems to be quite a few people around here who run them & don't have a problem.

But anyway. I took my ATI card to work (where it now happily resides in the P2-based machine I use there) and got the V3 for dirt cheap at Best Buy. It doesn't have the performance the ATI did (when the ATI actually worked) but on the flip side, I can play all my games without crashing & can manipulate a 35 meg image in Photoshop without crashing either (just takes longer).

------------------
    "Oooh--they have the internet on COMPUTERS now!"
    It's not me, it's you.

Gonzo1970,

If you put a TNT2 card on that P5A board, you will regret it. The TNT2 cards and Aladin chip set do not get along. But, I run a V550 TNT AGP card on my P5A without any problems.
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

Thats for the replies!

I think what Ill do is check out some of the responses/comments in the motherboard section about the 1.6 Ali drivers. Ive got 1.5.. I also saw that 1.65 beta was out, maybe we will see how that runs with this 4400 I have. Maybe they got off their a**es and realized that they didn't put out a quality product (Asus boards are great, its just the chipset that sucks)

I also have access to an FIC 503+ at my office that has a 300mhz on it. (Which has 1Mb cache on it, and Im told that it would work better with my 128Mb RAM) It would make no difference to them if I swapped mobo's with the fic.. It has the VIA chipset, and some people are saying that chipset is better. Either way, If I cannot get that 4400 to work, I wont buy the 770 Ultra, Ill just go with the V3. (Which reminds me of another question, but Ill start a new thread for that.. Ill call it 'V3/TNT' if your interested)

I never knew this site existed, just stumbled upon it accidentally.. But, Im here to stay now.. Im learning alot! Thanks Guys!

------------------

-Gonz

-Gonz

Since it's a nvidia chip on that 4400 have you tried the reference drivers from nvidia???
    Too many computers to mention, it may need its own ZIPCODE next.

Those drivers worked.. for awhile.. I just read up on the 1.60 and 1.65(b) drivers... havent had a chance to check it out yet.. Will let ya know tomorrow

------------------

-Gonz

-Gonz

I have a P5a and I was wondering if you have a p5a or a p5ab because the highest bio version for the p5a is 1007a and 1008 is for the p5ab. dont know if this makes a difference though.

Oops.. should have told you that I have a P5A-B.. The B's are AT, the straight P5A's are ATX.. My bad
    I havent had a chance to do that ALI driver thing yet.. Something popped up at work.. Will let ya know..

------------------

-Gonz

-Gonz

I have a k6/2 350 and recently bought the v770 TNT2. I've tried various things to fix the problem but my pc keeps freezing while playing games. I'm only an amateur on solving these problems and was wondering if anyone knew the quick fix.

I have a P5A-B mobo, AMD K6-2 400 (overclocked to 450) and a Viper V550 AGP card. I have had a lot of problems in the past with driver stability (mainly OpenGL). About a month ago I downloaded the reference drivers from Nvida and the AGP drivers for the Ali V chipset (version 1.60) and this fixed everything for me.

If this doesn't help and if you are comfortable with editing your regestry, try this:

Right click on the desktop and then click on properties. Then click on the settings tab and the advanced button there. Select the Riva TNT tab (Note: You have to have the Nvida reference drivers installed. I use 3.53) and pick the additional properties. Change any setting in the OpenGL tab and push apply. Then select restore defaults and push apply again. Then do the same for the Direct 3D tab. Hit OK on all to close all the open windows you created in the steps above.
    Completing the steps above set up the necessary registry settings you will be editing in the next steps.

Now go to start and choose run. Then type in regedit and push enter. Expand (click the plus sign) on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then Software then NVIDA Corporation then Global and finaly open the folder NVTweak. You should see the entry QuickTweak with a hex number after it. Don't change this. Right click anywhere in the free space on the right and enter a new DWORD value. Name it "Super7Compat" (without the quotes and it is case sensative) and set it's value equal to "1". Restart this should help with the problems.

For fun, there is a overclocking utility built in to the drivers now that you have the registry set up for it. Go back in to the registry and to the place where you entered the "Super7Compat". Put a new DWORD value here and call it "CoolBits" (again without the quotes and this is case sensative). Set it's value equal to 3 and close the registry and restart. (Note: You do not need to do the Right click on the desktop and properties step for this because the registry is already set up and it won't change).

Now when you enter the RIVA TNT and Aditional properties button you'll see a new tab called Hardware Options. Here you can overclock your card.

I hope the steps are clear and that this helps. Any questions just post them here and I'll see if I can help.

Thread Information