I need your help with a big quesiton!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I need your help with a big quesiton!

I need your help with a big quesiton!

I have had many problems with my system ever since I built it. It used to crash a lot and I'm just not getting the high performance machine I imagined when I built it. I have a Diamond TNT2 running with a TYAN s1598 Motherboard (VIA chipset) and an AMD K6-III 450MHz CPU. My main problem now, is that in my color settings, there is no difference between True color(32-bit) and High color(16-bit). My system is stuck in 16-bit color right now, resulting in a very ugly display. Everything is composed of dots!

Here's what I've done to try and fix the problem:
    -Downloaded latest VIA chipset drivers
    -reinstalled video card drivers(currently using latst nvidia detonator drivers)
    -tweaked BIOS using the settings that Diamond told me to, and then the ones that a friend told me to.
    -installed latest monitor drivers.
    -replaced video card with Voodoo3 to see if that helped, but it didn't
    -replaced motherboard(FIC PA-2013) with the TYAN s1598, didn't help (although got rid of most of the crashes)
    -verified jumper settings on both motherboards, they were correct to begin with.
    -tore down system and rebuilt using only necessary components(HD, video, RAM, motherboard, etc. I reformatted my HD and started over with this configuration. Did this to make sure other drivers weren't interfering, and that the power supply wasn't failing.

I'm sure I've left out a couple of things. But, basically here I am. Diamond thinks it's a defective card, and they sent me a new one. Haven't opened it yet, and that's what my question is to you... when I tried the V3, it was with the old FIC board, which had known issues with that video card to begin with. Still, I'm hesitant to replace the old Diamond with the new with this TYAN motherboard out of fear that it won't fix anything, and I'll be in the exact same situation, but on worse ground with Diamond. Should I just sell this Diamond in the box unopened so I can sell it for a decent price, or should I install it? Also, if anyone has any other suggestions on what this problem might stem from, I would love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

-Kevin

Heh, always sucks when **** like that happens. Good luck man!

------------------
    My System:
    600 MHZ AMD Athlon
    128mb PC-100 Ram
    Matrox G400 MAX
    IBM GXP 22gig 66mhz 72,000
    HP 8100 Burner
    Sound Blaster Live
    19" Princeton EO900

My System:
    600 MHZ AMD Athlon
    128mb PC-100 Ram
    Matrox G400 MAX
    IBM GXP 22gig 66mhz 72,000
    HP 8100 Burner
    Sound Blaster Live
    19" Princeton EO900

when you previously installed nvidea drivers over diamonds i hope you took out the diamond utilities besides the driver, nvidea doesn't want them. did you check your refresh rate from the back of your monitor if its 15" probably 60mz wouldn't up it,mine did some crackling or popping whatever you want to call til i dropped it to my my monitors refresh rate in display properties. on the mobo some have jumper for cpu clock/agp clock select agp. in bios disable memory hole, usb if you don't have any usb devices sometimes it helps,disable system bios, video bios, video ram cacheables,spread spectrum, video shadowing they help keep the mobo from interfering with vid. cards,if its there select first initial display whatever your card is whether agp or pci, aperture size to whatever your ram is 64mg minimum or more.
    maybe one of these suggestions could help but i would do them with the new card or whatever you decide to use.
    hope one or all of these helps you get there.
    i'd take a tyan over an fic.
    ------------------
    HOCKEY RULES!

[This message has been edited by rangeral (edited 11-19-99).]

I installed the nvidia drivers first off after a fresh reformat and install of windows98, so there were no other drivers to conflict with. I tried the same thing with the Diamond drivers, and while the nvidia drivers are a little better, I still have display problems.

I've checked out all the BIOS settings you mentioned and apply to me. I've even tried combinations, but I can't shake the problem.

I'm currently using a 60Hz refresh rate. I have a CTX 19" monitor.

BTW, when booting up or when in DOS, my screen shakes. I've tried adjusting the refresh rate, which affects the screen in windows, but it doesn't affect it outside of windows. I wonder if this could be related. This problem has also been around since my computers first days, and was a problem with the V3 card too. Monitor problem?

Check to make sure your monitor drivers are installed properly, or that you ahve chosen the correct monitor type. If it is, try to set it to a standard Super VGA and see what happens. Sounds dumb, but that's how I had to fix a funky Matrox card I had a while back.
    System:
    Celeron 533 @ 600
    ABIT BE6
    196 Meg. PC 100
    Guillemot Prophet GeForce DDR
    Aureal 1 Soundboard
    19" NEC Multisync Monitor

Do what Erich said I had the same problem until I downloaded specific INF files from my monitors manufacturer.

Hope it helps

------------------
    The PC is only tool make great use of it

Current System:
    ABIT BH6
    128MB PC-100 Ram
    Celeron 400
    STB Velocity 4400 16MB AGP
    Sound Blaster Live Value
    ADAPTEC 2904CD SCSI CARD
    TEAC CD-R56S-600 6x24 CD Writer
    18.2gb Maxtor Diamond 36 UDMA 66 (running @udma33)
    EIDE LG Gold star 16xMax CD-ROM
    CTX VL950T 19" Monitor

MACHINE 1:
    ASUS P3V4X
    256MB PC-133
    PIII 700E
    GEFORCE SDR 32MB AGP
    SBLIVE VALUE
    NETGEAR FA311 NIC 10/100
    PLEXWRITER 12/10/32A
    30.7GB IBM DESKSTAR 75
    DXR3
    12X HITACHI GD-7500 DVD-ROM
    CTX PR960F 19" MONITOR

I had the CTX drivers installed, but i reinstalled them. I also tried using a generic driver for SVGA, but that didn't work either.

By the way, I'm using the same monitor as you BB2k. The VL950 is my monitor. One thing this does tell me, is that it may not be the monitor after all, and that it's most likely the video card. I venture to say the reason you're not having problems is because you are using that Celeron. Do you ever have problems with your screen shaking on you? Just checking.

So, what do you think? Should I open the box and try the new card?

try not using the ctx drivers just go with standard vga driver, uncheck any advanced settings to see which combo might work, i'd use the new card and also get a 3dfx card pci
    here's my setup viper550 agp and voodoo2 1000 pci still using pc66 64mg strip of ram would like newer and more ram, k6-2 400, mainly to meet all games criteria whether rogue squadron or unreal. had problems with viper and replaced it with newer one and everything started working. also in bios did you enable assign irq for vga.
    give these a shot .

------------------
    HOCKEY RULES!

try not using the ctx drivers just go with standard vga driver, uncheck any advanced settings to see which combo might work, i'd use the new card and also get a 3dfx card pci
    here's my setup viper550 agp and voodoo2 1000 pci still using pc66 64mg strip of ram would like newer and more ram, k6-2 400, mainly to meet all games criteria whether rogue squadron or unreal. had problems with viper and replaced it with newer one and everything started working. also in bios did you enable assign irq for vga, and disable vsync.
    give these a shot .

------------------
    HOCKEY RULES!

I've got the CTX VL950 and I use the CTX drivers, no problem here.

Thread Information