Survey.. Unhappy Viper owners...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Survey.. Unhappy Viper owners...

Survey.. Unhappy Viper owners...

Thousands of satisfied Viper owners are somehow under a delusion...

BB2K says you are out there, let us know who you are.. Be honest now.. The only thing standing between you and computer bliss is your Viper?

You are absolutely sure a 3D Blaster RIVA TNT2, or other TNT/TNT2, as long as it is not made by Diamond, would solve all your problems?

Start voting...
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

I do not know what you are basically talking about, my English and understanding is really low relatively.

Just to support your post instead of you thinking that nobody wants to replys.

I have a Viper 550. My is a 1.93 version, I mean the bios. The web site at diamond say something about the bios which needs to be updated or something like that.

The drivers really do not work well(actually wanting to say sucks but I think is not good to do so). It just do not display anything.

After knowing that there is a good company producing good products, Hercules, I downloaded their drivers to use it on my Viper and it works so well without much problems, really. I do not play games much often than many here, but my sister says that it is working well with her 3D studio max, adobe stuffs etc.

Just to say that it is basically a good card but it seems to ship not so good drivers/bios together with it, causing it not to work.

ETSEAN,
    Thanks for participating..

This board is for discussing your experiences, problems and successes with whatever
    video solution you have chosen to go with.

You will often find useful helps and hints concerning any number of issues.

You are just as likely to find a totally useless post, like this one. Something just to
    stir the soup a bit

There was an earlier post by someone who had a bad experience with a Diamond product.
    They had reason to believe that buying a Diamond product was a guarantee of problems,
    if not failure.

I do not know how many Diamond products they had to buy before they discovered this,
    but they seemed to feel they were only one, of what must be thousands of unhappy Diamond
    owners. Since I had not detected such a trend in this forum, I thought I would throw out
    some bait, and see what we catch..

So far it looks like most of the unhappy Diamond owners are busy firing off E-mails to
    Diamond customer support, or standing in line at the return counter of their favorite
    retailer.. Only time will tell if this thread becomes unwieldy with thousands of replies..

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 10-29-99).]
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

The majority of the problems with Diamond products are a direct result of their poor drivers. If you have an NVIDIA chip(128, TNT, TNT2, GeForce, etc...) on ANY brand of card. (Diamond, Creative, Herc) downloa the nvidia reference drivers. They will give you much better performance and often a little more stability.

Give it a shot. http://www.nvidia.com/
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

I've got a Viper V770 and haven't really had any problems with it so long as I use Nvidia's drivers. Its even more stable then my G400.
    "We're going to get another one next year, again -- back to back to back."

-Kobe Bryant

I have had a Diamond Viper V770 Ultra for a little over 6 months now. I play a lot of gaming, i dont know if you would consider it great graphics, but the games i were using were enough to slow down my video card, so I decided to buy the best on the market then. My card is very stable, never had a problem with it until i put the nvidia 2.08 drivers on it. I couldnt even move my mouse hardly. I was lucky enough to be able to unstall it in safe mode but was still having trouble there.
    Intel P4C 3.0Ghz
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
    2x256mb Corsair Value Select PC3200
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800
    WD 120gb SE
    IBM 60GXP 60gb
    Creative Labs Audigy (free)
    Toshiba SD-M1402 (12x dvd/40x cd)
    Lite-On 52x24x52 ($15 retail )
    Pioneer A06 DVD+/-RW
    ThermalTake Silent Purepower 420W PSU

I've had the same experience as ETSEAN. I have the same 1.93 version of the Viper 550 and it runs "poorly" on Diamond's latest drivers but really great on the old Hercules drivers. nVidia's reference drivers aren't any help either. I live in this constant fear that some new game isn't going to like the old Hercules drivers. (When you read the manuals they always warn you to download the latest drivers for your card or their product might not work). So far I'm not having any problems with DirectX 7. Since I'm not having any problems, I'm leaving the bios alone.

I have a V550 and it worked quite well until I found out that nvidia had new drivers and they worked even better, the only flaw is that all the software IE motorhead stopped working error message you must have a diamond video card with this software. Looking at diamond's website has shown me that diamond as a company if a new product is introduced stops all production on their drivers(or never makes any other except the original), no updates no support no nothing. I will NEVER buy another diamond product again even though their products are great, the support is not there. Diamond=no support.
    Too many computers to mention, it may need its own ZIPCODE next.

yea diamond sure does put out some crappy drivers dont they??? they pick nice chips though, from my experience, every standard viper 770 will overclock to 770 ultra specs and run rock solid stable if you drop a 2 dollar cpu fan on the 'sink. about the drivers, the older diamond ones had big problems. DDhelp.dll errors come to mind. ick. but the newer drivers are better. and although i actually posted a recomendation that all viper owners opt for the new detonator drivers, i'm actually now getting mixed results. much much more stable, but some games seem to choke on 'em. Unreal Tourney and Midtown Madness most notably. however my 3D mark scores rank among the highest in the known world for my class of machine and video card. O/C'ed celery 450 3D mark 4467 brag brag overall, very happy with my card. i hear alot of stories about TNT2's from hell, and all the problems people have just installing them. let alone getting them to work. so i guess i'm either lucky, or all the babying i do to my puter really pays off. used tntclk to get 166 core, 200 mem.
    Red

Well, here's my two sense. In the past, I have had nothing but problems with diamond products. I am a software developer and I have had some serious problems with their drivers that are supposedly "MS certified".
    I think certifiable is the appropriate term.
    I have had two Creative Labs boards, TNT and TNT2-based, at home and they have worked very well for me. The other day when I dropped in the TNT2 card with the latest detonator drivers and fired up Unreal at a cranked-up resolution, my jaw nearly hit the floor. Unbelievable was more like it for me and I have a fairly wimpy CPU for this day and age.

The way I would summarize this is that I like Nvidia's chips, I hate Diamond's boards.
    Of course, your mileage may vary.

One more thing, that NV-15 sounds like a real "blow-your-socks-off" board to me. If it is everything they promise I'll have to stick it in along side my GHz Athlon. That's downright frightning. I can't wait !

I like to add something more:

Not all cards will post you problems or give you no problem.

After getting my G400 16MB, I will be looking for the newer cards, maybe after the Savage2000, Geforce256, Voodoo4(??) and ATI MAXX. I will only get it if my cards now sing die, sold away or I am short of one.

Happy discussions!!!

Okay then how many of you actuallu use the Diamond's drivers isn't it kind of lame that you have to get support i.e. drivers from other companies.

When a company releases a product shouldn't they support it???
    MACHINE 1:
    ASUS P3V4X
    256MB PC-133
    PIII 700E
    GEFORCE SDR 32MB AGP
    SBLIVE VALUE
    NETGEAR FA311 NIC 10/100
    PLEXWRITER 12/10/32A
    30.7GB IBM DESKSTAR 75
    DXR3
    12X HITACHI GD-7500 DVD-ROM
    CTX PR960F 19" MONITOR

I got my Diamond V770 Ultra about 2 months ago, which replaced by 16MB CL Banshee. Uninstalled my Banshee Drivers, installed my new Diamond V770 drivers(ver4.02?) without a hitch. Rebooted my computer and, to sum it all up in one word,...Disappointment.

The problems:
    1. Sometimes, my computer freezes in the opening introduction when I start playing 3D games like System Shock 2 and X-Wing Alliance. However, after I restart my computer, everything is fine...no more crashes. What the Hell???
    2. System Shock 2 seems very choppy, not smooth at all. This really ticks me off because SS2 is an awesome game!

About two weeks ago I wrote the customer support department at Diamond and I asked them when they were going to update their drivers. The lastest Diamond V770 drivers don't appear to have been updated since 6/3/99! Also, companies like Creative Labs updated their Riva TNT2 drivers based on the 2.08 reference drivers from NVIDIA just last month. Get off your asses Diamond and publish some new drivers!!! Now that DirectX7 is out, this should be more of a reason for Diamond to update their drivers.

Anyway, the people at Diamond took the time to write me back and said they were performing QA on their lastest V770 drivers and the new drivers would be out soon. Ya...well Bull-dung. I don't believe it.

I think I will download the new NVIDIA Drivers (someone pls tell me how to install these babies...do I uninstall my Diamond drivers first?) but I am a little apprehensive since I do read people who do have bad experiences with these drivers.

Anyway, thats my opinion, and thanks for taking the time to read my rant.

no flame ,but why dont you put your banshee back in until the new drivers come out,atleast you will be able to play.......

Thread Information