Help my matrox g400 run bad.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help my matrox g400 run bad.

Help my matrox g400 run bad.

Hello there, SO i've just bought a G400 millennium (OEM) 16 MB. First i installed the g400 driver and the powerdesk 5.03 but the powerdesk couldn't run. it reported a weird message that no Maxtrox G400 driver support. after couples time trying reinstall without success, i downloaded the Powerdesk 5.30 version and thank god, the powerdesk and turbo gl worked.But still i have some problems with this card:
    -It rarely run the Maxtrox Tech demo video. Most of the time the system halt and i have to restart. Sometimes i got blank screen, sometime the program halt in middle of displaying the video.
    -The Half life game used to crash the system (the screen showed weird graphic and the system halted).(default setting of openGL)
    i have tried to solved this problem by download the beta ICD of Matrox , downloaded and install the SciTech Gldirect trying to control the graphics but those problems still occur.
    Please could any one help me on this one?
    i really like the half life game and i have couples other 3d games too. Should i return the card and get another? ANy idea would be great help
    My system
    Intel PIII 450mhz
    asus P2b motherboard, AT power
    96mb ram, 13gb ibm hard drive.
    Maxtrox millenium G400(oEM) 16mb
    MultiSync xv15 monitor setting at 800*600 32 bit truecolor.

[This message has been edited by Arthur (edited 10-29-99).]

1. Have you tried DirectX 7? www.microsoft.com/directx

2. Try disabling both video BIOS caching and shadowing for the AGP card. This usually resolves AGP problems and frees up memory. Having those settings enabled only improves DOS based applications anyways.

3. Make sure your video card isn't sharing any IRQ's or memory adresses with something else in the computer. Check the system information heading in system tools to check this. Also, the PCI slot next to the AGP slot on that board ALWAYS uses the same IRQ. So if you have a PCI card there, try moving it to a vacant slot elsewhere.

Good luck and post back if you need further help.
    Unofficial Blizzard and Hardware Tech support.
    http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums

Thanks Lord DreadWrath for responding my post.
    Yesterday i downloaded the Direct 7.0 and installed. I also disabled Video cache and shadows in Cmos but the Half life still halted and crashed the system. I have checked the PCI card, but there's no PCI card in slot next to the AGP Millenium G400. I don't understand the system information much but it looks like the AGP card doesn't share memory with anything.
    Is there anything else i can do? Please help!!! I really appreciate your advice Lord, the Maxtrox TechDemo video runs fine now and the Rogue Squadron is okie too. But unfortunately Half-Life is still bad. i tried to find the patch for it on Maxtrox webpage but there isn't any Half life patch for Millenium G400 card. What else could be wrong?

[This message has been edited by Arthur (edited 10-30-99).]

The only thing else I can think of trying is to adjust the hardware acceleration tab for graphics. It can be found in the system icon in the control panel. Click on the performance Tab and then the graphics tab. Try lowering the tab all the way to the left for now just to see if it prevents the lockups. If it does, try upping the tab slightly until you hit the instability point with it.

Only thing else I can think to do would be to E mail Matrox support and tell them your problem and post all your system specs. If this is a common problem, at least they will probably tell you. Knowing Matrox if it is, they'll be working on a fix for it.

If nothing else, maybe they can tell you other things you can try to get it working properly.

One last thing, did you check for an updated BIOS from ASUS? Sometimes BIOS upgrades help with stability and newer video cards.

Good luck and I hope you get it working.
    Unofficial Blizzard and Hardware Tech support.
    http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums

Thread Information