ATI Rage Fury Pro for AMD K6-3/450?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ATI Rage Fury Pro for AMD K6-3/450?

Hybrid View

ATI Rage Fury Pro for AMD K6-3/450?

I have just gotten rid of my TNT2U because of incompatability problems and I'm looking at an ATI Rage Fury Pro w/ TV out. Anyone have some thoughts about this card? Also, I am adding a DVD drive to my computer. Would this card be a good one for my computer? I have a...

Super 7 Mainboard
    ALi Aladdin V AGPset
    K6-3/450
    ATI Rage IIC (currently)
    Sound Blaster Live! Value
    20 gig. hd
    128 ram

Thanks for any help.

------------------
    Matthew

[This message has been edited by Matt112 (edited 10-22-99).]

[This message has been edited by Matt112 (edited 10-22-99).]
    It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious.
    --Alfred North Whitehead

I've had several ATI cards over the years and have never been impressed with the performance. One problem is that ATI seems to upgrade cards like the wind and goes from one model to the next before you know it!! They have a whole slew of cards out there now so be careful and make sure you know which one you are getting!! My biggest disappointment has been with the drivers....ATI has been slow to come out with a well behaved OpenGl driver and even today I have some problems with their current drivers and the VIA AGP drivers. One thing is that the ATI chips have the best DVD drivers of any board on the market and since you mention the DVD player it might be worth considering. You can get a trade in deal thru ATI and get a Rage Fury 32 MB for $130 or an All in Wonder 16 MB for $150 plus $10 shipping. Each one comes with a $30 rebate that you get when you send the old board back. There is an All in Wonder 32 MB also but its not listed on the website! Also, some of the boards come with the "Rage Theater" chip which handles the DVD and TV output so make sure you get a chip with "all the features">

Thanks DrJoeD, that helped a lot.

------------------
    Matthew
    --Alfred North Whitehead

I changed to a rage fury with tvout.Its abit slower than the tnt2 but no problems at all to install.

Cool, thanks Jonah.

------------------
    Matthew
    --Alfred North Whitehead

target Guest
    my system:
    K6-3 450
    Rage Fury 32MB Tv out (clock speed:105/105)
    128MB PC100

performance-wise: Awesome for games that support 3DNow (ie: quake 3 arena)... because the card is more cpu dependant than most other video cards, it suffers more if you have a slow cpu.. so in intensive games that don't have 3dnow support, (ie: NHL 2000 - unless there's a patch I dont know about), you might find it slower than a P3 system with the rage fury.
    DVD: just plain unbelievable... it doesn't get much better than this... much better/smoother decoding and quality playback than any other card, including the V3 and TNT2

Wow, that's great target.

Thanks,

------------------
    Matthew
    --Alfred North Whitehead

Anyone else have some helpful input?

------------------
    Matthew
    --Alfred North Whitehead

Dont buy the ATi all in wonder 128 (16MB)...i bought on Saturday for my Via Super Socket Seven system with 400 MHZ AMD k6-2 chip and 64 MB memory. I only got 21-29 frames per second in Quake II with the AMD patch installed. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Ok. Thanks, but I was talking about the ATI Rage Fury Pro 32meg. Thanks anyway.

------------------
    Matthew
    --Alfred North Whitehead

Does anyone know if the rage fury pro is available yet? It must be close since the rage fury dropped to about $90 this last weekend after rebates.

Question about the ATI cards--I've heard they are very processor-dependant; I just built up a K6-3/400 w/96 meg Ram & so far have had nothing but problems with the ATI card I bought last week (an Expert 2000/rage 128 AGP 32 meg). The display has been crapping out on me routinely with both games & 2-d applications (i.e. Photoshop, though less so with the 2-d stuff). I've got all the latest ATI drivers, etc. but the card still seems to be the source of my problems whenever the graphics get somewhat intense.My question is whether or not I should take the thing back to best buy & get a Voodoo 2/3 or S3/S4 Savage or TNT2 (basically all the cards they have to pick from at Best Buy)

[This message has been edited by Artboy (edited 10-27-99).]
    It's not me, it's you.

Thread Information