TNT2 incompatabilities..
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT2 incompatabilities..

Hybrid View

TNT2 incompatabilities..

I was thinking of getting a Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor (TNT2 Ultra) this winter (when the GeForce goes out in my place here in Toronto) but then I heard of motherboard and system incompatabilites with the TNT2 and I can't find information about it anywhere.

here are my system specs:
    --------------------------------------------
    -ABIT BP6 with single Celeron 466 (non-overclocked)
    -32 MB PC-100 RAM (the prices are *****in' high so I'm stuck with this for now)
    -6.4 Gb, Quantum Fireball UDMA 66
    --------------------------------------------

Can I use TNT2 Ultra with this system? or should I opt for something else?

Thanks in Advance. :-)
    --------------------
    Drink Varnish and You'll have a lovely finish

ankerson Guest
    You should be fine with that motherboard, processer setup. The problems were with the SS7 boards and the non Intel Chipsets.

Actually the problem was due to the fact that a lot of those SS7 motherboards could not provide enough power to supply the video card, not that the chipset was in any way bad (with the exception of the ALi V chipset).

But you should be fine with a TNT-2.

-JGene

I have encountered only one problem running AGP cards in my ALi V chipset board, and that was easily solved and driver related. ALi also benches a bit better than VIA...why does everyone ***** so much about the faster/more memory bandwidth ALi?
    BTW I have heard many times that if you don't want to futz around with problems trying to make things work right you should go 3dfx....but maybe they work better on intels. I personally don't see the huge deal with 32bit color...but if you do then you definately don't want a 3dfx.
    ------------------
    Bleeding head good! Healed head bad!
    Beware pinkboys....The Stark Fist of Removal cometh nigh! Slack and be free....study the wisdom of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs at www.subgenius.com

[This message has been edited by markjs (edited 10-20-99).]

Thanks for all the reply, Greatly Appreciate it!!! :-)
    --------------------
    Drink Varnish and You'll have a lovely finish

I thought I had gotten the perfect video card for my computer. Just for every1's information, I have a...

K6-3/450
    128 ram
    20 gig. hd
    SB Live! Value
    ATI Rage IIC

The vcard I got was a TNT2U. I had heard from several people it was a great card, but after spending $180 on it, I figured out it didn't like my new computer. I spent over two hours on the telephone with tech sup. and still didn't resolve the prob. I downloaded the latest drivers, upgraded my AGP port, and did everything else I could think of; still nothing. So, I'm sending it back, if I can. I am thinking about getting a ATI Rage Fury Pro, but I need some input. How's the graphics? DVD playback?

------------------
    Matthew

[This message has been edited by Matt112 (edited 10-20-99).]
    It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious.
    --Alfred North Whitehead

I have the same problem whith my Creative TNT U. My system is a AMD K6-2 450, 128 Mb ram whith a MS mainbord whith a Ali V chip.
    I have don just about every thing i think. I flasched the BIOS on my TNT2 card and my mainbord. I also uppgrade the AGP drivers and have used 3 difrent drivers for my TNT2 card. After spending some time whith the support i got a new card from Creative but its the same **** whith this som now i swiching to V3 3000 or wait on the GeForce if it is compatible whith Ali V.

Thread Information