PCI video cards
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCI video cards

PCI video cards

OK, here's my problem. It's called an S3 Virge 4Mb 'Graphics' card, and I use that term in the loosest possible sense. This card is, to put it mildly, a load of rubbish and is probably contributing a large amout to the reliability problems of this system. It only gets used for mild CAD work and Internet access, so there is no way I need anything near a Banshee or V3 in this machine. Normally I'd say an ATi would be a good idea, but I have no AGP and can't seem to find a PCI version. Can anyione suggest either somewhere I can get a PCI ATi card, or something better. I'm working to a tight budget here! One of the old Matrox Mystic 4Mb PCI's would be wonderfull.
    Also does anyone have any ideas which 17" monitor is the best low priced buy?

------------------
    Joe's first Law of Computers:

The probability of a crash is directly proportional to the time elapsed since your last save
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

Well, if you're going to go PCI, I don't know your processor or anything about your computer, but for PCI cards, the VooDoo3 2000 is going to be the fastest and cheapest, you could go ATI, but Voodoo will blow it outa the water. It's also relatively CPU friendly.
    I know you don't play games, but there's not too many low grade cards around anymore.
    Secondly, CompUSA has some killer deals on re-fab monitors. I found one which is only $160.00 at their online website, http://www.compusanet.com/

[This message has been edited by ErichAllen (edited 10-10-99).]
    NEVER: tell a boardroom full of Australian's, "I'll be rootin' for ya!"

OK here's Marvins vital stats:

P166MMX, S3Virge 4Mb PCI, No AGP capability, Win95 B, i430HX mobo, 32Mb EDO RAM.

I can't afford more than 40 tops for this board, which is about half the price of a
    V3 2000 over here. This machine does no 3D whatsoever, I've turned off all the 3D functions on the S3 in an attempt to make it more reliable but it's basically a pile of crap. My Previous experiance with my K6 was taht when I remioved the S3 Virge I also removed 99.9% of my compatability errors and system hangs. I don't need any more power than the Virge allready has, I just need more reliability.

Thanks anyway. I could of course replace the Banshee in my games machine with a V3 2000, and replace the Virge with the old Banshee. That is worth a thought, although it's still overkill realy it'd fix this damned Virge!

[This message has been edited by JollyRoger (edited 10-10-99).]

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

You've got your head on straight if you're seriously thinking about the Matrox Mystique. I had that card a while back and loved it to death!!! I still like it's 2D performance over any other card I've seen to date.

A cheap 17" Monitor is DTS, if you can spend an extra $ 50.00, look at the ViewSonic E771. It's really cheap and its a ViewSonic.

------------------
    It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Yeah Toolbox, My dad has a 4 meg Mystique in
    his CAD machine, but I can't find another one! I'm not talking a G200, just the plain old Mystique which saddly they don't make anymore. I had it in my K6 gaming machine for a while, it sure was fast. My Banshee is quicker in 3D, but 2D I'm not sure about and the Mystique had only 1/4 of the memory on the Banshee. My sister and my mum have Virge cards, and they are a pain in the backside, both of them, while the Banshee and the Mystique hardly give us any trouble. I fail to understand why people still make Virge based cards which are crap, and they don't make Mystiques which are just magic, it just aint fair!

------------------
    Joe's first Law of Computers:

The probability of a crash is directly proportional to the time elapsed since your last save

Oh no, that's Windows XP

ankerson Guest
    Try to find a V330, they are really cheap and fast enough for his system..

Cheers

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Heck, I have a 4 meg Matrox Mystic which I'm not even using, I'd probably sell the darn thing to ya.
    got the games and drivers as well, no box though.

------------------
    AAAAHHHH!!! It's the iMac, and IT'S MANGO!!!!

[This message has been edited by ErichAllen (edited 10-11-99).]

ErichAllen I'm interested in the Mystic if JollyRoger isn't,what do you want for it?I'd like to replace my 2meg ati 3d expression,thanks.

How much for that Mystique (or however the hell it's spelt) ErichAllen? I'm v interested! r u in the US? 'cause I'm in Brittain which could make the shipping a bit excessive if u r 'Accross the pond'.

cheers mate

Oh no, that's Windows XP

how about a 4mb ATI All-in-Wonder? I have one that I'm not using at all. I have all the original cables, disks and stuff like that. If you don't mind waiting a little, I could ship it SLOW assed via ups and get it there for fairly cheap.

------------------
    ATI cards realy do "FLY" especially when thrown

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire

Sorry about the mispelling guys, at work today, well it's the 220. I went out to their site and you're correct, they don't even sell them, but the memory upgrades, by 4 megs, is only 14.95, this card's upgradable to 8 megs. Give me a figure and we'll go from there, but S&H will be included in the final bill. I guess I could put it on Ebay, heheeh, j/k.

ErichAllen,how does 20.00$ sound?,I'll pay shipping.

I have a spare "Daytona" 4mb PCI Virge.
    I know it's frying pan to fire but I never had any problems with it.
    I'm up in Liverpool if you want to give it a go.

Later,

Col.

------------------
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
    HWC members gallery
    www.hwcpics.totalserve.co.uk

We'll check it out.

[This message has been edited by ErichAllen (edited 10-13-99).]

Thread Information