Best video card, by far, (IMHO)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Best video card, by far, (IMHO)

Best video card, by far, (IMHO)

Ok, I've noticed that the board has been filled with nVidia vs. 3DFX flames, and I have noticed that most people, aren't giving the worthy videocards the proper credit that they deserve. I mean, a matroxg400 kicks *** so bad, I've heard, seen the benchmarks and seen it live up and running, and I've compared it to voodoo and TNT2 ultra already (I;ve seen them run on systems too) and I can say that the G400 is pretty good, besides, compared to the number of problems I've heard peopel say about Nvidia and 3DFX, I've been amazed at how few complaints have I heard form g400 owners. So what do you think>? I;'m getting a new video card now, something that is really a good deal (g400 is on top of my list). It is very well rounded unlike the two extremes, TNT2 ultra and 3DFX, Do you think I should get the card? I know I should wait for the GeForce, but it seems to premature to buy one now, probably when they have an ultra version. :-)
    --------------------
    Drink Varnish and You'll have a lovely finish

I would like to know what makes you think that the TnT 2 is not a well rounded chipset. Excellent picture quality, incredible speed (2d and 3d), good price, 32 megs, 32-bit color, and good drivers. What well rounded mean to you?

Jes

I read an article on the firing squad that Matrox "finally" got their act together in regards to openGL drivers that absoultely kicks TNT2U's ***...can you say 100fps in q2 @ 1024x768 (ah well i forget, if i can find the link i will post)

And yes I own a CL TNT2U card and I love it, but...

------------------
    I have CRS Syndrome
    (Can't Remember Sh*t)

[This message has been edited by Huge (edited 10-12-99).]
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

Yes, somehow Matrox is finally getting their drivers in order.

A couple of days ago I downloaded the new Powerdesk 5.30 drivers for my G200 and the performance increase is pretty impressive.

I've also looked at a few updated benchmarks with the new TurboGL dirvers for the G400/Max and almost all of them have the G400 rolling over the TNT2U now. 'Bout time, Matrox.

maybe I'm behind the times, but my humble TNT (not 2 or ultra) is doing just fine. Being as to how my poor eyes/brain doesn't see the difference between 40 and 90fps, I didn't feel the need to buy the latest and greatest. When the game slow down noticibly, I'll consider a new card. I fin't that software rarely keeps up with hardare.

------------------
    Support bacteria -- they're the only culture some people have.

Where am I going? -- And why am I in this handbasket?

I just read the firing squad review.

The good news:
    The turbo GL drivers do indeed blow away
    a TNT2 or a V3.

The BAD news:
    The turbo GL drivers are optimized for PIII
    and AMD 3d extensions.

The bottom line:
    If you have a celery or a PII the performance
    is basically unchanged from earlier reviews.
    TNT2 or V3 are still the choice for celery
    and PII if performance is your shtick.

Alpha, games are getting ahead of TNT. I
    bought system shock 2 and it doesn't run
    great on my PII 400/TNT config.

Larry

[This message has been edited by LarrySherm (edited 10-12-99).]

Sorry. Duplicate post.

[This message has been edited by LarrySherm (edited 10-12-99).]

Thread Information