power to the people
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: power to the people

power to the people

Think of it. How many percent of your computer is made of components from Taiwan? Probably your motherboard, your case, the video card, cdrom, RAM (no doubt there) and perhaps even the floppy drive. The point is, Taiwan is a keyfactor in the entire computer industry. Just look at the causes the earthquakes has done. The prices are going through the roof. Taiwan is the dominating nation when it comes to computer periphrals. You can't let China take over Taiwan. Free independence to Taiwan! Free democracy. Do what ever you can in your power, demostration, strike, send in a protest or whatever.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/991007-000014.html

Hrm. Components of every computer are made in Taiwan. Other components are made in the USA. Others are made in China. Others are made in Japan. Others are made in Thailand.

What's your point? Do you really think that if China takes over Taiwan, all the companies in Taiwan will go out of business?

Also, only cheap RAM is made in Taiwan. When I worked for a system integrator, after a few months I made sure we NEVER used Taiwanese RAM. Taiwan is the dominating nation in cheap computer peripherals, no doubt.

But once again, those companies will not close their doors for political reasons. Economics are prob'ly the main reason China wants to take over Taiwan.

[This message has been edited by Darius (edited 10-08-99).]
    Dude, weak!

Well Colombin, given that democracy encourages the formation of interest groups and thus, labor unions, I personally think we will continue to get quality products(from Taiwan) for cheap only if Democracy doesn't take a huge hold in Taiwan. Since labor unions drive up wages and benefits, as well as decrease work hours, production costs increase. Thus, you pay more.

Jes

Darius
    you are WRONG the reason China wants to take over Taiwan is not a econmical reason. China want Taiwan for the same reason as they want Tibet. I am sure president Jiang Ze-Min wants to be the first man in the history to reunite H.K, Macao and Taiwan. Don't you think so? Anyway, Taiwan is a powerful nation when it comes to electronics no doubt about it. Yes, they are cheap, that doesn't necessary mean they are bad. Taiwan stands for 60% of the worlds graphic boards production. 40% of RAM production and and 80 of mb production. All that from a country with 1/20 amount of population that US have.

Thread Information