I need a better card for 2d graphics
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a better card for 2d graphics

I need a better card for 2d graphics

I have a P3 450 MHz with 128 MB of RAM running Windows 98. I just got a Nokia 445xpro 21 inch monitor. The monitor information says that I should be able to get up to 1800 x 1440 resolution with a refresh rate up to 80 Hz. I would at least like to get 1600 x 1200 with 90 Hz.

I spend most of the day in graphics programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Macromedia Director, so 2d performance is what I need.

The company just got me a Diamond Viper V770 card and it doesn't cut it. I can get 100 Hz at 1152 x 864, but the color isn't very crisp. Even the grays in the browser window aren't solid. Nothing looks good at 1280 x 1024. It looks better at 1600 x 1200, but I can't get a refresh rate above 75 Hz, so the screen flickers.

1) can I do anything with the board I have to get better performance?
    or 2) what other board would you suggest?

Thanks.

Try the Matrox G400.
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

hmm i never notice my screen flickering at 75hz, could this be because i was running in 1024x758 instead of those higher res?

I'm not sure what the refresh of the G400 is at 12x16, but you won't get better 2D quality than Matrox, that's for sure. I'd bet the G400 would be exactly what you're looking for.

I use a PIII-550 with 256mb, Viper 770 TNT2 Ultra, NT 4 SP5 and a Dell 21" monitor.

If you just absolutely get stuck with the 770 Ultra, make sure you get the Detonator drivers. I'm not sure if it will help your 2D, but it launched my OpenGL performance by about 500% in the apps that I use, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. It improved my productivity just getting those drivers.

You could always OC you V770.There is a OCing utility called (tntclk) it might help to get a little better performance out of your Viper.If interested email me and ILL send it to you.

------------------
    Miles

This too shall pass!

Miles

This too shall pass!

freon Guest
    Before we hear everyone spout "Matrox," let me say I've done a side by side comparison of a G200 and Trident 9750+Voodoo 2. Both monitors were .26 pitch 17", the one with the G200 was actually nicer (it was NEC, vs a Viewtronics). I couldn't tell the difference, nor could the G200 owner honestly.
    Sorry, I don't really buy into the whole Matrox image quality thing. Any company can slap a term on the box and say image quality is higher.

My advise: Get a Trinitron. They most definitely DO have much better image quality.

------------------
    BP6, P2-C 366-550 (x2), 192MB
    CL TNT2U 180/205

High image quality is a term that every company "slaps on the box".

I haven't seen a video card yet that had a box that said "Our Image Quality Sucks!".

Matrox got the reputation for great image quality not because of anything they've ever put on their box-- but because they earned it. Plain and simple.

[CQ]Violator Guest
    Howdy folks!
    I've got a Matrox G400MAX and a Nokia 446Xpro monitor (Nokia rox!).
    My resolution is 1600x1200, which is the best this 17" has to offer. Well, the G400MAX by far exceeds those lame 90Hz you were talking about, and does this with a image quality and sharpness that can only be godsent. :-)
    Buy the MAX. cya.

75hz is 75hz, be it 640x480, or 1600x1200. The refresh rate is a measure of how fast the screen get filled. A card hast to significantly faster to maintin 75hz at 1600x1200, then it would 640x480. Most new cards can support 75hz at 1600x1200, but it takes a high end card to doit any higher.

The human eye should be unable to detect any flikering caused by refresh rate at 75hz... before droping the bucks for a new card, check other posible causes for the flicker:
    Electro-Magnetic-Interfearance is a common culprate, or perhaps floresent lights are flickering, also try degaussing your monitor, or even borowing a freinds to see if the monitor is bad. Then if you still see the flicker, go ahead and fork over the cash.

I tried the Detonator drivers and it made a world of difference. I got 1600 x 1200 at 85 mhz. No flickering, and the colors are crisp. I think I'll try this card for awhile.

Thanks for all of your input.

freon Guest
    Baloneyflops, Matrox has always pushed their "image quality" more than the other graphics chip manufacturers. "Vibrant Color Quality˛ rendering"
    I think anyone who has done a side by side comparison (as I have) will tell you it's bull. Monitor quality (dot pitch, refresh rate, flatness, good OSD, high output brightness capable, etc, etc) makes a lot more difference than the card.

------------------
    BP6, P2-C 366-550 (x2), 192MB
    CL TNT2U 180/205

You don't have to like Matrox, it matters not to me.

Now, if you can't tell the difference between a Matrox and another card on a 17 inch monitor, then I'm not surprised.

BUT, crank up the resolution and put that same image on a 21 inch monitor, now stare at it for 8-14 hours.

This is quite a bit different than your little impromptu test. This is a test that graphics professionals have been doing for years. 5+ days a week. 4 weeks a month. 12 months a year. Year after year. So, if it's just bull, why do so many graphics professionals like Matrox cards? Must be the hype, huh? Not hardly.

I'll say it again, Matrox earned their reputation for image quality. End of story.

True, the gap has narrowed over the last several years to the point that the difference in 2D quality between the top-tier cards may not be immediately discernable; especially not in a "nope, they look the same to me" kind of evaluation.

Matrox is the high watermark by which the image quality of all other cards are compared. Several cards may look as good in subjective observations, but none look any better.

Why do you seem to have a problem with professional pixel and polygon pushers recommending Matrox cards? Hey, use whatever looks good to you. Face it, lots of graphics professionals like Matrox cards, and for good reason. Everyone's free to use whatever they like, and lots of us like to use Matrox; what's wrong with that?

[This message has been edited by Baloneyflaps (edited 10-06-99).]

While the 3d quality of the G400 remains in question, the 2d for almost every Matrox card has never been questioned. I've used a broad range of cards from almost every company and chipset maker including: ATI, Nvidia, Creative Labs, 3dfx, Cirrus Logic, Intel, Diamond Multimedia, etc... I'm not a particularly strong supporter of Matrox but having worked with so many different brands of cards I can vouch for the quality of their product.
    "We're going to get another one next year, again -- back to back to back."

-Kobe Bryant

Even in 3D, their quality is great; it's the 3D performance that's never been the best.

Well, Hello there!

I'd say, go out and get yourself a new monitor w/ Trinitron-tube and a Matrox G200 or G400MAX-card. The Viper-cards really suck!

I've never heard of another graphic-card w/ TNT2-chipset that SUCKS as much as the Viper...

Do yourself and your eyes some justice and get a 21" Trinitron TCO-99 monitor and a Matrox Millennium G200. That should cover it for you...

Hope you'll be lucky trying to sell off that damn Viper-crap

Lots of Love...Oh what am I writing here...Have a nice day...No that's not it...Be well...That's the spirit!

/Jester

Sorry, I got out to look for the perfect monitor for you, but the best I could do was EIZO's 21" w/ 1600x1200@85 Hz...again, sorry, but I couldn't do better.

------------------
    "Expect my visit when darkness falls upon you"

[This message has been edited by Jester of Sauron (edited 10-07-99).]

[This message has been edited by Jester of Sauron (edited 10-07-99).]
    "Expect my visit when darkness falls upon you"

Thread Information