1 video card to replace 4?

I have the following setup with my 1 year old Gateway 400 MHZ PII:
    1) STB Velocity 44000 AGP video.
    2) SLI Voodoo 2 cards.
    3) STB TV/FM tuner card.
    4) SBLive sound card.
    5) 56k internal modem
    6) DVD ROM software decoder.

I don't have any problems or complaints with this setup other than I don't have any slots open (or available interrupts for that matter). I want to install a SCSI card for a tape backup, MPU/401 card so I can use my Roland Sound Canvas daughtercard, etc. Seems like this 3dfx voodoo3 3500 card would replace 4 of the above cards: STB video card, both voodoo2 cards, and the TV/FM tuner card. Anyone have any experience doing this? The above setup is working fine NOW but I had to screw around a lot with interrupts and such to get it all running without any crashes or conflicts. I presume I would be in for a similar headache trying to replace them all with a single card? Would it free up some interrupts? Anyone have any comments at all on any of this?

Regards,
    Andy Grey

Certianly, it would free up IRQs, although its no guarantee...the hardware you intend to install could still give you problems, but I imagine it would make your IRQ juggling easier.

As for the card itself, theres no 32-bit color, but thats not a big loss. The TV-tuner has been touted as mediocre, but this is in comparison to the Marvel or All-in-Wonder...Im sure it provides similar quality to your STB tuner card. Overall, it certianly provides more performance, all in a smaller package...I say go for it, best part is you can probably sell off all those components for atleast half the price of the 3500.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

The Voodoo3 3500 or the Marvel G400. The G400 has impressed me with some of its new drivers. The TurboGL actually brings it up to par with the speed of the TNT2's and Voodoo3's. It has the best Image, TV out, dual monitor, and DVD and can handle full speed video editing with no frame loss. It costs a bit more than the V3 3500 though. The V3 supports Glide and runs a little faster still.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

If you want cheap get a Voodoo3 2000 and a 486 fan. Overclock that baby to 170Mhz (like mine) and you good to go. Just keep the crappy TV tunner card and now you have two extra PCI slots for under $100.

P.S. you can give me (or even sell me for cheap) your old Voodoo2's. Creative Labs has some recondisioned ones for $20-30, but they are hard to get (limitted numbers ... out of stock).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information