Voodoo3 OR Voodoo2 ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Voodoo3 OR Voodoo2 ?

Voodoo3 OR Voodoo2 ?

I curently own a Pentium II 350mhz Computer. I have an ATI 4mb Rage Prom + a CL Voodoo 2. Am I even going to notice a huge performance increase if I buy a Voodoo3 3000 or 3500.

yes, on your intel system you will. That is if your current games are lagging. I have one comp set up with a v2, and one with a v3, the v3 is faster at higher resolutions and looks better.
    (no offense.....alright, just a little)

You will notice a huge difference because the v3 is as quick or quicker than a vodoo 2 sli setup (i tried it out, it was true on mine)

The Voodoo 3 is a much better card and is capable of extrememly high frame rates compared to its little brother (v2).

The V3 also looks much better despite what a lot people say, when they think it is just a banshee on steroids.
    Generalizatiion is easy

The V3 is indeed fast, or equal to a V2 SLI in FPS...HOWEVER, I should warn you, I just got a V3 3000, and returned it after one week of intensive testing, for a Ultra TNT 2. Because, the V3 had strange stutter problems, and also whenever a huge amount of graphics pop onscreen suddenly(like 5 people coming around the corner firing their rocket launchers all at the same time in Quake2). To me, these little problems are completely intolerable, because my old V2 SLI did not have such problems AT ALL...I totally questioned the value of a V3 after that, as V3 is supposed to be better then V2 SLI, not worse. Being that the FPS is very nearly the same between V3-V2 SLI, I got the Diamond Viper V770 TNT 2 Ultra for D3d and OGL, and kept my V2 SLI for Glide.

I should also mention, at the moment, the best video card rig that money can buy is a TNT 2 Ultra coupled with V2 SLI...not a V3 by itself, or a TNT2 by itself. The V3 has some graphical problems...and the TNT2's lack of Glide is a serious problem for some. UTNT2+V2 SLI though...you get the great visuals of the TNT2 for D3d and OGL...and great speedy Glide support from the SLI. You can always swap between the cards though if you ever feel one is better then the other in something...but as a basis that's how it'd go.
    "Tried and true...Makes you black and blue."

Dont Confuse the issue Vertigo V3 or V2 ...

The V3 is much better than two v2's.

TNT2 is not the best and why pay for two v2's and a tnt2 ?

tm\nt2 is a 2d/3d card and voodoo 2 is 3d only ... one of them will loose if you put them together and when you consider the tnt2 is 32 mb and the total of the v2 x 2 is only 24 mb why sacrifice 8mb ram from tnt2 when vodoo 2 3d kicks in ?
    Over the lips and past the gums, look out stomach here it comes

ankerson Guest
    Yes!!!

You will notice a big jump in performance, but I would get the TNT2 card for your Intel system.
    I have a PII 350 and a V770, I am very happy with it.

Getting 76.4fps in Quake2 Timedemo 1, I think that is fast enough for a PII 350.

Grinspoon: What are you even talking about, sacraficing RAM??? RAM makes no difference in performance if you're comparing the RAM of 2 V2s in SLI to a single card...you really can't go and say V2 SLI has 24 megs of RAM...it doesn't work that way...a V3 with 16 megs of RAM is faster then V2 SLI with "24 megs of RAM...", it's not the sheer amount of RAM that's important, it's the chipset. And no, V3 is not MUCH MUCH better then a V2 SLI setup. Anybody who thinks twice about a V3 can tell you this is what the Banshee should have been a long time ago, except 3dfx brought it out only now, and therefore it has to go up against whatever Nvidia brought out (TNT2) whether or not it was designed/meant to. As for when which card kicks in...I would personally play all my games on the TNT2, and leave Glide only games to my V2 SLI. D3d and OGL games are never touching my V2 SLI again.

But this is way off topic of what the original post was about...back to that.

Yeah, a 3000 or 3500 would beat down that CL V2 right now...it can even beat V2 SLI. If you have no thoughts at all about a TNT2 (no probs for you getting one though, since you got one V2, you still got Glide support, although rather weak), then go for a V3. Just consider my problems though...I didn't bring it up to start a TNT2 vs. V3 thing, I brought up my problems with the V3 and how it compared to my V2 SLI/TNT2 as something for you to consider since you'll be getting a new video card yourself.

------------------

I have a CL Banshee at the moment and my son has a Voodoo 3 3000. There is no comparison. Not only is his fps at least double, but the 3D and more importantly the 2D rendering is nothing short of amazing. So, in researching which video card to buy, I go to places like this to get input as well as the latest Windows Magazine and according to everyone (with a few exceptions) the vote is cast for a Voodoo 3 3000. Most are of the opinion that there is currrently no competition. The V3 3000 supports Glide and D3D and when I compare it to my Voodoo Banshee on games like Descent 3, Unreal and Half-Life, I can see why all the rave reviews.

I would like to understand something better tho. Why do people put two video cards in thier computers? Is there something I dont know or do you really switch the monitor connection at the back of your computer each time you choose to use the other one? What is SLI? Unless there is a way to connect them together so that you get the best that both have to offer simultaneously, then I guess I dont see a point.

Deve

2 v2's slied together is a fast combination. They are connected internally to each other with a little ide type cable. You connect your current video card (that does 2d) to the one of the v2s. You then connect your monitor to the v2 also. v2s are 3d only, so that is why 2 video cards can work in the same system.

To be on the subject, I had a v2 and a TNT in my system, best of both worlds? Yea right! I played everything with my v2 as much as I could, I had so many problems with my TNT. I bought a v3 2000 and overclocked it to 166, the base speed of the 3000 without a problem, talk about blow away one v2 or v2 slied for that matter. Im playing most of my games, Half-life, quake2, Requiem, and Even quake3 in 1280x1024 resolution without One problem. Of course Quake3 is a little slower cause of the lack of AGP But i sustain around 25-35 fps in it at that res. I would like to try a TNT2 in my system with the new drivers, but I am sticking with the awesome speed that the V3 has and the best 16 bit output on the market, actually with the technology it uses it takes out some of the graphical anomolies, which in turn produces near 24 bit output. www.beyond3d.com Has a new review up on the V3 3000 which is a very different review from any other that I have read. Go and check it out. It will give you some good info

------------------
    At last, We will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.
    Vidfreek:
    I have gone to look for myself, If I get back before I return.....Keep me here

Vidfreek: Good job...cause that's what I did too with my TNT/V2 SLI...I would the V2 SLI for everything...duh...because back then, the V2 SLI utterly destroyed the TNT with sheer speed. However, the TNT2 now has enough power to equal or exceed the V2 SLI in speed, which is why I can go ahead and play all compatible games on it, instead of the V2 SLI...I only keep the V2s for Glide. Believe me, the TNT2 is a whole different ballgame from the TNT...especially in speed.

No doubt about it though, the V3 is a speed demon...I woulda kept mine if it weren't for those problems I got...

Vertigo don't imply that I am dumb because at least I can stick to the question. Do you even remember what it was.....

V3 or V2. Not V2 sli or V2 sli + a TNT2. So at least I can admitt I a wrong, which I was but I never stated all out that I was right in the first place.

ps why would you mix edo ram with sdram in video cards ?
    Over the lips and past the gums, look out stomach here it comes

I've got a Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo2 (12MB) + a Trident 9750 AGP (4MB). Is there a reason on earth why I should think twice about upgrading to a Voodoo3 2000?

Oops... nevermind...

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 09-25-99).]
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

Personally I love my V3! But something else to consider is that the modem has Awesome 2D performance as well. I always disliked the transition between the V2 and my primary card. I don't remember the topic ever statine anythig about TNT2's or buying a second V2...but even so I think that upgrading to the V3 would be a great choice. But as a consumer myself, keep in mind that the TNT's will all be dropping a little in price when the next gen cards come out in about a month or so. FYI

------------------
    Which Poison will you Choose Today?
    NEVER: tell a boardroom full of Australian's, "I'll be rootin' for ya!"

Thread Information