Problem with Viper 550 - Help!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Problem with Viper 550 - Help!

Problem with Viper 550 - Help!

I have a AMD 450 2k 3dnow. 100mhz bus. I have a AGP Viper 550 card. I have downloaded the latest drivers/fix patches from Diamond. I have installed the card "by the book" - the instructions included with the latest software patch from Diamond, yet I still get a black screen during the Windows 98 boot.
    Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Are you using an ALI chipset MotherBoard? If so, then:

1. Ensure your MoBo is running the newest versions of it's BIOS, and check to see if your TNT card has a bios upgrade, also. (TNT1's only. TNT2's are already "fixed")
    2. Ensure you are using Acer Laboratories, Inc (ALI)'s newest AGP and IDE drivers. Go to http://www.ali.com.tw/ to get them.
    3. Make sure you change your display driver to "standard Display Adapter (VGA)" and RESTART windows once BEFORE you shutdown to change cards and/or graphics adapter drivers.
    4. Pre-Download the newest drivers for your card. Don't even bother with the ones that came on the disk with the card- They are usually 90% broken to begin with. They will cause you heartache with any chipset.
    5. Check for new driver/BIOS upgrades every couple of months, and install them if you find some. There are two reasons a company upgrades their drivers- A) To enhance stability. B) For better performance.
    6. Goto 5

Thread Information