Resource Conflict... Please Help
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Resource Conflict... Please Help

Resource Conflict... Please Help

Hey all,

I am trying to help a friend with his computer. There is a resource conflict between his Illusion 128 (riva 128 based) and the "Motherboard Resources" & "System board extention for PNP BIOS". I don't know what to do. I have tried to manually change the memory range until there isn't any conflict showing, but then the adapter doesnt work properly anyway. He has Win 95 with all the updates and the motherboard is a Biostar M5ALA. I have tried different drivers for the V-card, removing it and reinstalling it, etc. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
    -Rich

the riva 128 needs an irq assigned in the bios. You may have to change it around in the bios to find a good one I think I used 10 or 11 not sure but had the same problem with a card I set up for a friend a few days ago on a biostar vx mb

Thanks MC for the reply.

I tried to manually set the IRQ for the video card in the BIOS. The only option I have is "Assign IRQ for video" with two choices, "enable or disable". Whenever I have enable and enforce an update on the ESCD the IRQ 11 always gets assigned to the video even though it is conflicting with the motherboard as mentioned above in my previous post. I have to admit that this is pretty frustrating. I have never had any problem installing hardware before.
    Again, thanks for the help.
    -Rich

Hey all,

I guess the real problem lies within the memory range conflict with the motherboard resources. I can get the card to a different IRQ, but whenever I change the conflicting mem range the card becomes inoperable. More info on the system: AMD K6-2 300, WD 4gig, ISA winmodem, ISA SB Compat, no PCI cards, and of course the one AGP Riva 128 4meg... I can't figure out how to trick the system into changing the memory range for the video card. Any ideas??

Thanks a lot,
    Rich

if you can try to assign 11 to isa instead of pci then the video will find another when you reboot. or move the video card to another slot. This card is a pain to set up but is worth it. Nice Card picked mine up for $10 on an auction was the stb velocity 128. Might try their website for some info on resourse conflicts.
    http://www.stb.com/tech/faqs/v128faq.html

Thanks MC, I did figure that one out. I will check out the website. I have it pretty much w/o conflicts now. It is conflicting with the PCI to PCI steering or something like that, but otherwise works. So I don't know if I will mess with it any more.

Thanks again,
    Rich

Thread Information