Diamond Viper 550 or Voodoo3 2000 ?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Diamond Viper 550 or Voodoo3 2000 ?

Hybrid View

Diamond Viper 550 or Voodoo3 2000 ?

Please help me out. I want the best card for my computer, but the problem is that I haven't got any AGP slots so I must have PCI cards.

My computer is a PII 450 w 128/10,1

My father whants to see DVD on the TV, maybe I the should by a MPEG card and Voodoo??

PLEEEEASEEEE HEEEELP!!!!!!!

------------------
    Make sure you stand on the ground..

The best PCI card you'll find is Voodoo3 2000 PCI.. much better than a V550.. and with a good software DVD player and a DVD Rom, you won't need no MPEG card to watch DVD movies.

[]s

there are pII mobos without AGP?? i thought all slot 1 mobos have AGP...oh well, since you have one I must be wrong...
    about ur problem, I agree on you getting a V3 2000 PCI...that's the fastest PCI video card that you can get right now, and it's cheap too. u would also need an MPEG-2 decoder card but I can't help you on that one since I have no first-hand experience regarding that matter. actually, if u get the V3 2000, u could ask 3dfx to send u the MPEG-2 decoder software. According to 3dfx, this software will allow your CPU to perform the decoding functions that would normally be provided by other hardware dedicated to that task. But they noted that, even on a very powerful system, the CPU utilization would be very high. So u r still better off buying a dedicated card for DVD playback.

[This message has been edited by Astaroth (edited 09-03-99).]

agreed
    v3 2000
    is much better then a v550
    wow thats odd
    a p2 450 mobo
    with no agp slot?

prod.

Oh sorry, I have an integrated AGP card on my motherboard, thats why I cant get any AGP card. And also my dad whants to look at DVD on the TV!! And therefor I must have a MPEG card??

[This message has been edited by Tomp (edited 09-02-99).]

Astaroth,

Yes there are, the on-board video mobos...

Tomp,

If you want good DVD image on TV, get a MPEG board like DXR2 from creative

According to scores posted at 3DMark, a V3 with a P2450 gets 3730 3D Marks while the TNT gets 3675... Banshee2... uh V3 wins by 2 percent...

Really, I think either card would be great.. You get GLIDE support with the V3 and 32 bit support with the TNT.. You will probably pay a little more for the V3..

So it is really a matter of what you want and how much you want to pay.. Both cards have a lot of fans..

I have got a TNT with a V2 next door.. I think it is a great combo..

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 09-02-99).]
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

Never trust non-"Real Life" benchmarks. "Simulated" benchmarks SUCK. A Voodoo3 2000 will let my K6-2 400 blow away a PIII 550 with a TNT(1) on most 3D games. Thats without overclocking. Add a 486 fan and I run cool at 160+ Mhz. That lets me run at 75 FPS in Q2 demo1 at 1024x768x16 and 38 in Q3 Best Quality Mode and 45-50 with some tweeks at 1024x768. I max out most games and run 45+ fps in Descent3 and BattleZone2 at 800x600. Thats on a $50 CPU and $70 graphics card ($100 at Best Buy -$30 manufacture's rebate from 3dfx's website). If you seach the net you can find them for $75 +S&H -$30 rebate (about $60).
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Just curious Todd a, since we are here to help each other and share information...

What is "Most Games" and "Blow away", in technical terms?

"If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

the v3 2000 doesn´t have tv-out buy the 3000

My TNT2 card has a TV/OUT, DVD decoder, and 32MB of RAM, and I can do 32-bit color if I want - I get 80 FPS in halflife (800x600 16bit color). My card is a Leadtek 320II, and it costs about $130. You can pay for a Voodoo card that does the same, but why?

Stingray,
    Oic...so these boards don't really have an actual AGP slot? Or does the on-board video prevents them from using an existing AGP slot? I've read on other posts of people saying that they have on-board video and they can't use the AGP. I take this to mean that they have an "open" AGP slot but that they can't make the on-board video controller release the AGP. If this is true, then I'm very curious...why have a board that has an AGP slot and not be able to use it? I have one mobo with built-in sound chip but it can be disabled in the CMOS so you can put a sound card if you want to...can't it work that way too for on-board video?
    Educate me pls...hehehe

eyelander & jeff,
    well that's because Tomp said his only option is PCI. (see original post)

Thread Information