Help with Dungeon Keeper 2
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help with Dungeon Keeper 2

Help with Dungeon Keeper 2

EA games don't like me. I never could play NFS: Hot Pursuit and now I can't play DK2 that I just bought.

When I try to open up the game it just freezes. DirectxX 6.1 is installed. Here's my system:

Celeron 366@550
    256MB RAM
    BP6 mobo
    Pioneer DVD
    18g WD hd
    Herc TNT2u

The game is installed okay, I just can't figure out why it won't go. Anyone else have compat probs with the herc and DK2? It looks like a cool game but the m&*%*&%*&$ won't work.

oyu wouldnt by chance be running win2k beta or winnt???

or for that fact,ar you using a "copy" of the game???

Negative to both. I just bought the game and use Win98 to play games. I installed the game on a different system--K62 450, V3 3k, and it works fine. Is DK2 a glide game?

Its not a glide game. I currently have it installed on a system using a #9 Revolution IV and it works fine. I have it set to 1024x768 in 32bit, with all options on best/highest.

------------------
    Skywalker is here and the Force is with him!

I've had the exact same problem. I could play the game for no more than about 10 minutes and my entire system would lock up and need a machine restart.

My system is similar to yours; I have a celeron 300a@450 and a Viper V550 TNT card. I don't have a solution I'm afraid, but I have a theory regarding this problem. What sound card do you have? I have an SB Live...

Uh oh. Bombjack I think you're onto something. The last time I tried NFS: Hot Pursuit before I uninstalled it, it finally gave me errors instead of just locking up. I don't remember what the errors were but I remember them being sound related. Since DK2 is showing the same problems...

Anyone know where I could find a fix?

In the readme it does list that there may be some problems with the SBLive, and they recommend haveing the latest drivers (liveware 2.1). I have a SB Live Pro, but as I stated, it plays fine on my system. The only problem I have with it is if I try to switch tasks (alt + tab) to see who's bugging me on ICQ. Sometimes it will kill DK2, but as long as you save often its not a problem because It doesn't lock my system, nor do I have to reboot. I just have to start DK2 again, and then its fine.

------------------

I also have Liveware 2.1, but it doesn't work in my system. I notice you also have a different video card to g13 and I.

My theory is that there is a conflict between the SB Live and the TNT chipset with some games. I've had this problem before on games based on the Unreal engine (Unreal itself and Klingon Honor Guard) where they would exhibit the exact same lockup problem under normal conditions, but if you disable the sound they run fine. Thankfully now those problems have been fixed, but there seem to be some games that still suffer from it, some EA games for example.

Damn, EA games are so buggy.

I say this so often that sometimes I dont wanna reply because people will get sick of hearing it... but its a common mistake. Forgive me if you already know better. Make sure you go to Windows Update and install "Microsoft Virtuall Machine" This makes a major difference in most games now days. While you are there you can make sure you still have directx 6.1 and the run time components installed.. you know how some games like to sneak in an old file.
    I am running DK2 with Liveware.. TNT2.. on a Via chipset ( NO VIA BUSMASTERING DRIVERS!! )
    K6-III ect. I did have problems with the game untill I uninstalled Via's busmastering drivers, it was a conflict with the drivers and the CD Rom. Also I noticed you are using a DVD to play games with... I dont know which brands are buggy, but some are.. and will read some CD Roms just fine and have trouble with others. It may only have trouble with one out of 100.. but that one will be the one you really wanna use
    Well.. Good Luck!
    Here is a pic of me
    Rich "Tech wanna be!"

members.aol.com/kingwands/me.jpg

Victory is mine! It finally works!

I tried the virtual machine you were referring to rich, unfortunately no luck. I disabled the soundcard, and eventually pulled the Live! completely, no dice. Even swiched to a different cd rom, nothing. Was it ever going to work?

I reinstalled the directx 6.1 drivers from the cd so I knew they were current. But when I checked the DirectX Diag, I noticed a lot of of problems, all of the tests were okay "did you see that stupid white box bouncing around a black screen?" I just erased the directx folder completely and reinstalled directx 6.1 from a different cd--Tales of Sword Coast (okay, I probably could have done it from the DK2 folder but what the heck?) Lo and behold, the SOB worked. I guess there were conflicting .dlls somewhere.

On a different subject, I previously e-mailed EA tech support. They replied the next day which was cool but in their reply they had a list of every device that was in my system, the dual celerons, the soundcard, vid card, everything. I gave them the basics of my system but this had everything and I didn't volunteer this information.

This was tech support so this information could certainly help them diagnose the problem so I didn't mind. I just don't remember agreeing to give this info out and that's kind of scary. What other information could they get? Just something to think about, I suppose.

Hey, everything works now. Thanks for your suggestions, at the least you are a great support group.

Thread Information