Someone with older banshee drivers PLEASE HELP!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Someone with older banshee drivers PLEASE HELP!

Someone with older banshee drivers PLEASE HELP!

I have tried to install new drivers (allready updated bios) for my Quantum 3d Raven (Voodoo Banshee), and I've repeatedly tried all the 3dfx reference drivers, the Quantum drivers, editing the registry, re-installing windows, every ALi 5 AGP driver I can find (I have that chipset), and NUMEROUS other ways....always the same thing until I figured out just what file was causing the problem. 3dfxvb.vxd is the culprit (I am going to have to use reference drivers because I cannot access individual files in the Quantum drivers), and I wondered, does anyone have an older version of this file? All of the new versions from 3dfx cause my problem (drivers work, but system re-boots as soon as you hit any key on the keyboard). If you have an older version (say from an original 3dfx driver disk) could you please send it to me at markjs@netzero.net Much appreciated!

have you re-installed dx 6.1?

Yes...I am 100% up to date with Win98 first edition. I suspect, after reading some things that suggest it, that the conflict is with the ALi chipset. In any case I want to try using the newest driver with only that one VXD replaced with the older version that works with my system. I know that the problem lies in that VXD because I replaced it with the Quantum (older) equivalent file (renamed to match) and it didn't do the re-boot thing, though it didn't run right. It's really my last ditch attempt before I go out and replace the banshee. PLease someone send me the file so I can try it!!! (the 3dfx version)

BTW Congrats DEAN yours was the 15,000th post in this forum!

well i had some simaliar experience,mine was removing dx 7 beta from windows 98 and surgicly instaling dx 6.1 back in ........talk about pain in the but!

anyway i saw a bunch of files that have the 3dfxvb (tag) on them in DX 6.1 ,thats why im asking,if you look in dx 6.1 you should see alot of these type and maybe with all the fanagling with the drivers dx 6.1 is having some problems now,check it out.

also lots of company's make banshees how bout their drivers,diamond monster fusion,creative banshee,guillemet maxi gamer phoenix..................,its quite possible you have 16megs of SD ram and not SG ram like all the other banshees and thats where a problem could exist,some of the creative banshees used sd in the early days.

couple other stupid questions but,,,,,,are you overclocked on your cpu?what speed is your system bus at,agp=66mhz,what about cpu core voltage?whats that at,and also Keyboard,is everything ok with that,have you checked in control panel under system properties ,and bios for the keyboard there are bios setting =type matic ect...i wouldnt rule out anything.

[This message has been edited by DEAN (edited 08-11-99).]

Everything is fine in device manager. My system is: Matsonic 6260s/ALi 5 chipset, AMD 400mhz K6-2 2.2v nothing oc'd, 48mb ram, AGP Quantum 3d Raven.... All the raven drivers and the 3dfx drivers do the same thing, which tends to suggest to me that the problem stems from 3dfx, being as all other drivers are based on those. I am going to try Diamond and Guillemot, but expect no change. PLEASE someone send me that file!!!!

Guillemot and Diamond drivers=same problem!!!

I have never seen any problem on hardware central as completely un-solvable and baffling as mine. I think I will completely avoid 3dfx from now on. Bus SOMEONE.....I BEG YOU....SEND ME THAT FILE!!!

So I guess it's just too much trouble for anyone to send me that file....anyone trade me a comperable (anything BUT 3dfx) vidcard for a perfectly good Banshee (that'd prolly work on anyone elses system?) It also has an added in cooling fan, and the original box and driver disk.

Hey markjs
    do you still want that file?
    i found it on the CD that came with my ASUS
    Banshee.
    It's version 4.10.01.0105-1.00.

PLEASE send it!!!!

Why is this so damned hard? I still haven't gotten anything!!! Please someone!!! SEND THE FILE!!!

Got the file....It didn't work!
    The only reason I don't give up and buy a tnt is that I can't afford it right now. Well here goes again....maybe someday someone will know

I really feal its something else,but you feel it is the card?ok fine but let me tell you one thing a quantom rave whatever,nobody's ever heard of it,I have installed 8 banshees,guillemet,and diamond monster fusion,NOT a SINGLE PROBLEM,dont blame 3dfx blame quantom or whoever makes your card,3dfx makes THE MOST combatable video cards out.have you ever thought that the card itself maybe be bad?????????

I just don't know....It would seem to me that if the card was bad, it wouldn't work so good with the drivers that came with it. I get 30fps with no lags on Q2 with only 48mb ram, and it looks awesome provided I use the drivers that came with it....Open GL support and all! So that makes me think that the card is good. Unfortunately I know nobody that has an AGP slot to test it in. I Like the card fine on the original drivers except that I can't play Q3 arena without newer drivers.

Why don't you just install the drivers that came with the card.
    And then put the newer drivers in the q3test directory.
    This should have q3 use the newer drivers while you OS uses the older ones.

Markjs, check back about 3-4 weeks back with my post "Dean or somebody *&^% help" I'm still having problems with my V3(it's even choppy in my 2d games like Starcraft), but today I'm taking my computer to someone I know who knows a hell of alot more about computers and video cards that I do, so maybe I'll figure out what the hells wrong. Calm down a bit my friend people here will help out as much as they can just try not to be to hostile.

Thread Information