Which card would be more stable...I want to get a new one
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Which card would be more stable...I want to get a new one

Jeffy79 Guest

Which card would be more stable...I want to get a new one

Hello all,

Thanks in advance. I was wondering which card I should get. The vid card options im thinking of is Matrox G400 max, or the Voodoo3 3500. Now do not list the TNT2 I hate them, I have a TNT and its so damn unstable. The TNT I have causes the game I have to freeze, gives me vxd errors, and sometimes the screen turns black and all i see is a blue like line up top. I know its the vid xard, because everything else in this system has been used in another system. So which board should I get? Or should I see whats out by this x-mas. I prob will either upgrade this k6-2 350 to k6-3 450 or get a Athlon ### whichever is out. I almost ended up switching to intel but I found out it was the vid card FEWWWWW .

Jeff

I would wait a few months if I were you (unless you need a faster card right now). I also own a TNT (V550), and it's fast enough for games that are on the market right now @ 1024*768, if you don't use 32-bit rendering that is. I don't understand why you have those problems with your TNT-card. I don't have any problems at all (using 2.08 drivers) with my TNT (OC'ed to 110/125).
    BTW, if you have the money, get the Athlon (if it is out by then). Man, I am already lovin' this CPU (check out the review at Tom's Hardwarepage). I am certainly getting an AMD this time! (always had an Intel up to now).

Be patient, it will be worth it!

Jeffy79 Guest
    I have a AMD k6-2 350 and its a excellent stable little chip. The TNT chips don't go well with AMD chips, the 3Dfx chips go real well with them. I had a matrox vid card and well it was damn stable even on this system. I prob will get a vid card, mobo, cpu, case upgrade this coming x-mas maybe. I am getting the ATHLON . Prob will have 800mhz by this x-mas.

Jeff

I don't think it's the AMD CPU that's causing your errors. It's probably your motherboard, most 'older' Super socket 7 motherboards can't deliver the current your TNT uses.

Get a Voodoo3 2000. It is on sale at Best Buy for $100 and 3dfx is runnig a $30 rebate. That's $70. Spend another $5 and get an old 486 fan and screw it right onto the factory heatsink. Add v3oc30 (a Voodoo3 overclocker tool) and bump it up to 158-166 no problem. Very stable on my K6-2 350 on an FIC VA-503+ and lightening fast.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

3Dfx builds nice cards for 3D... I wouldn't say they are as good with 2D though.

Any of the three new Voodoo3's is a good choice.

------------------
    "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Jeffy79 Guest
    Actually this is a rock solid motherboard. It is a TYAN trinity 100AT, and well its stable with any other card. I probably will get a voodoo3 or whichever is out by x-mas .

Jeff

Jeffy, does your MoBo have the ALI5 chipset on it? This chipset, althought the fastest around, is the culprit in 90% of all "I hate TNT" situations, although others sometimes have troubles, too.
    My ASUS P5a-b has the ALI-5, and I had quite a little blast trying to get it to work with my TNT. It took me nearly a day before I solved the puzzle.
    The key to getting your TNT to play nice with your MoBo is this: DRIVERS! Get The Newest Ones!
    There are three sets of drivers/BIOS' that will effect the TNT/MoBo mating dance: MoBo (BIOS), Chipset AGP, and Adapter card drivers.
    1) Go to your MotherBoard's website, and see if there is a BIOS flash update for your MoBo.
    2) Go to your chipset maker's website and see if there are updated AGP drivers for your chipset. For ALI chipsets: http://www.ali.com.tw/
    3) Go to the graphics-adapter's website and find it's newest drivers.

NOTE: Everyone should do these things, anyway.. A maker only upgrades it's BIOS'/Drivers if it is correcting a problem or enhancing the hardwares' performance somehow..
    NOTE2: NEVER use the drivers that come on the driver CD with ANY 3D graphics card.... They are always buggy. They rush into production before they are done with them.

I Love My TNT. ALI+TNT=Sweet Power.

------------------
    I make money while I surf the net.. You can get paid to surf, too.
    http://alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=aoi496

Jeffy79 Guest
    I have the VIA APOLLO MVP3 chipset. I did install new drivers and took alkot of my probs away but the vid card starts hanging after a while. This is what happens I heard with the STB card. When the engine gets hot it will actually, shutdown then of course effecting any game your playing. If I turn this system on and just do some simple graphics, webbuilding no problem. I play a game that the engine is being used it acts up big time. I know its the vid card, no patches will help it.

Jeff

I had the same problem with a V770 32MB card. I installed new drivers for my 503+ and new drivers for the V770 32MB card. Performance was ok but very unstable and not worth the trouble for that kind of money. I went with the V3 3000 and I happy with it. If I were you I'd go with the V3-3000.

System:

K6-2 450
    FIC 503+
    64MB
    V3-3000

------------------
    Current System:
    AMD 1800+
    MSI K7T266 Pro-RU
    512MB DDR
    Asus V7700Ti GF2 64MB
    WD 20GB 7200

Jeffy79 Guest
    Yeah it seems pretty evident that NVIDIA is on INTEL's side. They must build their cards, and probably test them with INTEL boards and proccesors. 3DFX has their drivers optimized for 3DNOW and their cards work with AMD chips just as well as a NVIDIA card works with a INTEL chip. Its kinda interesting how some companies support other companies more to sell more . Its all a interesting scheme.

Jeff

Thread Information